Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mean Oil Consumption of an Engine

alonzo · 2013-03-09 13:00

Hi dear all! I am a beginner in the “field” of mining trucks and I work as a quality process engineer (Intern ship). I would like to estimate the Oil consumption (in L/H) of a mining truck (dumper, backhoe, and shovel) On the internet I have found this formula: C = P x q x Fo C =Oil Consumption in litres per hour P = Effective Power of the Engine in Kilowatt (i Think i must multiply the H.P by a certain factor to have that value) q = Oil consumption in litre per kilowatt q = 0, 33 for Essence Engine q = 0, 22 for Diesel Engine Fo = « Operating factor » of the Engine. That factor considers that the engine is not used at its maximal power. For civil engineering trucks the commonly value used is 60%. Is this correct please?

Replies2
  1. #1WhyWhyZed2013-03-10 11:40

    There a re a lot of different diesel engine designs and some are engineered to consume much more oil than others. All that load factor stuff in that formula will directly relate to fuel consumption. More load = more fuel. Engine design will dictate normal consumption, generally oil consumption is from .1% to .2% of fuel burned. (i.e. 1 to 2L of oil per 1000L of fuel) You want to watch for any increase in any unit's consumption per quantity of fuel burned.

  2. #2alonzo2013-03-10 12:51

    Mean "Fuel" and not Oil Consumption of an Engine Thanks a lot whywhyzed. In fact I made a mistake in the tittle of my post. In fact I am trying to calculate the "mean fuel Consumption" and not mean Oil consumption of an engine. I made a confusion between oil and fuel. So the correct post is this one: C = P x q x Fo C =Fuel Consumption in litres per hour P = Effective Power of the Engine in Kilowatt (It's the HP times 0,746) q = Fuel consumption in litre per kilowatt q = 0, 33 for Essence Engine q = 0, 22 for Diesel Engine Fo = « Operating factor » of the Engine. That factor considers that the engine is not used at its maximal power. For civil engineering trucks the commonly value used is 60%. Even if this formula is correct, I Think the input that can causes "issues" is the Fo:How can I estimate it for a backhoe for in instance (or for any mining trucks in general)? Thanks a lot for your attention.