Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 C shuttle shift wont come out of gear after warm up

Case 580 C Newbee ยท 2019-02-24 15:28

Hello all, I am a newbee case 580 c owner that will be retireing in April. I needed something to do so I baught this Extenda-hoe for $4000. It needs work, but I feel I can do everthing it needs. So far I have replaced the front and back glass, seat, engine oil, Hydraulic oil, drained and refilled with fresh fuel, and rebuilt both lift cylinders and one swing cylinder. I have plenty to do yet. Left Kingpin, rebuild the rest of the cylinders, master cylinders along with the slaves. I used it the other day moving some snowbanks, and noticed the shuttle shift will not come out of forward or reverse without extreme force when warm.....any ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2019-02-24 17:11

    Welcome to HEF @Case 580 C Newbee IF the shuttle shift lever is going tight, that would indicate that there is heavy metal contamination in the oil & the metal fragments are getting jammed up between the control valve & the housing. This will score & damage the bore in which the control valve lives & will cause internal oil pressure loss affecting the drive. You need to drain that shuttle/convertor oil ASAP, the control valve should be removed to clean & inspect the valve & bore. In this situation, the valve can require quite a bit of "tapping" to remove. That being said, the metal has come from somewhere & that issue may need resolving as well......

  2. #2Case 580 C Newbee2019-02-25 22:25

    Already man, thanks for your reply. I will drain the oil out this weekend. And check out the valve.