We repaired a 3" water main repair today with the backhoe and at one point I turned it off near the work for 5 or 10 minutes. It would then crank over but not restart. A friend then pumped the fuel primer lever while I hit the starter and it fired right up. I'm thinking a leak somewhere or similar but I don't see a leak of any kind. Any suggestions appreciated. I have a 1/2 tank of fuel.
Fuel shut off solenoid sticking ? If it happens again pull it open by hand and try cranking a piece of hay wire will come in handy to hold it open if your by yourself.
Check the fuel tank vent. Also check fuel return lines for pinches or kinks. Check supply side for air leaks (maybe you have fuel drain back?). Maybe a restriction is starting on the supply side. Check fuel pressure (should be 3-5 psi) to see if you end up drawing a vacuum.
May be a problem with the supply pump .By hand worked turning over engine no work.
Great suggestions. Now that I've thought about it. When this happened before, I had about 1/2 a tank of fuel. I filled it up at that time and now I'm back down to 1/2 a tank and it's happened again. Might not be related, but seems so. I'll investigate your suggestions and report back.
Sounds like a crack in the tank pick up line.
Maybe I got lucky on this one. I found the hose connected to the in tank fuel pickup line to be finger loose. I tightened it good. Let's see if the problem happens again. Can the in tank line be pulled while tank is on tractor? Looks like you can probably pull it up in the fender well.
Honestly I don't remember. I think you will have to lower the tank a couple of inches.
OK, thank you.
Just to follow up on this. You DO have to lower the tank to pull the pickup pipe. Just a few inches as MG suggested. Just need a little slack in the fuel gauge wiring and the fuel lines going to tank.