Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 C water in the oil 207 D

Doug Brown ยท 2020-10-08 15:19

I just bought A case 580 C that got hot and now the water is leaking into the oil. (a lot of water) is it common for the 207 D engines to crack between the cylinders? or the heads to crack when they got hot. I haven't tore it down yet I was just wondering if I would like to know what to look for. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2020-10-08 16:39

    Welcome to HEF @Doug Brown The most common source of coolant in oil is liner seals failing. There are welch/casting plugs under the rocker cover that maybe worth taking a look at. You can remove the oil pan, fill the radiator & confirm if it is leaking from the liner seals.

  2. #2Doug Brown2020-10-08 16:58

    Thank you I have pulled the valve cover and it is dry so im hoping its the sleeve seals. I was just wondering about the block cracking if its a weak area

  3. #3alrman2020-10-08 17:21

    Cracking is not really an issue with the 207 block - Electrolysis is. There is usually bad pitting around the liner oring sealing areas. If it has been rebuilt before, chances are it has had some epoxy metal applied to it, which does work reasonably well..... as long as the engine doesn't overheat.

  4. #4Doug Brown2020-10-08 17:27

    ive seen pitting in other engines. I guess I will have to pull the pan and see where its coming from. I will have to find a rookie to look at it while put water in it. they only get talked into that once. ha ha Thanks guys

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-10-08 20:03

    Welcome to HEF, Doug !