After getting my battery issues sorted out my machine developed a fuel problem again. I discovered my pre filter had come apart and I had some contamination in my sediment bowl. I replaced both filters and cleaned out the lines and fittings but I was having trouble getting it to start and stay running. I suspected the seals on the fuel lines between the sediment bowl to filter and filter to injection pump. Searching the available parts lists I could not find a New Holland part number for the line seals. I found the listing for the lines but it didn't show the seals separate so I assume NH wants you to buy the lines. From what I could tell the seals may have started life as a simple rectangular rubber seal but mine were deformed and had adapted their compressed shape. In addition they were cracking and needed to be replaced. The ends of the lines have an inverted flare and so does the adapter fitting they screw onto. That means the seals act as a compression seal since the flares don't mate male and female. In a former life I was an auto tech and I happened to remember the small injector seals I used to replace on early 70s Volvos may be a good substitute. I found a listing for Standard #SK10 that included large and small seals for a 6 cylinder using Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection . The large seals on these were just locator holders and didn't actually provide sealing. The small seals went on the tips of the injectors and were stuffed down into the holders and retained with a twist cap. I ordered two packs from Carid at $3.28 a pack plus $10.78 shipping. O'Reily Auto Parts said they could get them but it would be Friday and Carid promised to ship within 24 hours so I went with them.
These seem to fit perfect. They are snug on the lines and fit inside the nuts. The nut contacts the rubber about an 1/8" from bottom so they tighten down and shouldn't split the rubber. I had already installed a low pressure pump in line to prime the system so I went ahead and pressurized everything with it. After I ran the engine a bit I clamped off the line and removed the pump. It restarted and continued to run so I assume replacing the seals made a difference. It was odd that I didn't have any sign of fuel leakage before or after replacing the seals.
NH575E, Once again, thanks for sharing your experiences! So, you say that you purchased 2 of the o-ring kits...how many did you use? I really like that primer pump setup. 2 alligator clips and open the bleeder and you are thru. What part did you purchase for the fuel separator? I see you have what New Holland calls the emission engine. Mine is the same. I found that out when I ordered the fuel filter and it was incorrect. It seems the non-emission has a mechanical pump in the front cover just below where you add oil, and a spin-on filter. Thanks again!
I only used 4 seals on the two lines feeding the fuel from the sediment bowl to the injection pump. I have 8 seals left over. These are for a late 60s early 70s application so I wanted to have a few on hand in case they go out of production. They may already be out of production for all I know. Not sure what you are asking on the part for the fuel separator. The filter for the emission engine is a WIX 33633. The old number is 533633. I should probably source the seals for the sediment bowl. My plastic screw in the bottom of that broke off. I replaced it with a short 5/16" coarse bolt and a copper washer. I reused all the other seals on it.
For the rest that look here, these are called Eastman Seals, were on nearly every diesel engine of the sixties thru seventies/eighties and are available thru regular parts houses as a Dorman Product. # 904-497
That may be good info. Thanks for sharing. The inside diameter of the 4 smaller seals in the Dorman set is listed at 5.9mm. That would be .232" or less than a 1/4". Might be a tight stretch on these 5/16" lines.
Are variations to nearly all these, the original lines on most machines were 1/4" but flared for seal retention. My Allis had same tubing.
NH575E, Perhaps I misunderstood you. I thought you had to replace part of your stock water separator (sediment bowl). Am I incorrect? Perhaps you just cleaned it? I am glad that you shared that these seals are for older vehicles. At the price, I may buy 2 packs too, just in case...if nothing else, an insurance policy that they will never go bad...
All I did was clean the sediment bowl. I commented about the plastic drain breaking off and needing to order the other seals for it. It has a flat seal on the bottom and an o-ring in a groove between the glass bowl and the aluminum housing that I reused. I had to drill out the little plastic drain screw that broke off and stick a bolt in it's place. I used a copper washer to seal the bolt. It has another one of the plastic screws on top for bleeding but I didn't try to loosen that one. I think the whole sediment bowl is available from Messics for about $85. If you have an O'Reilly Auto Parts you frequent you can order the seals I used from them and pick up in the store instead of paying shipping. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../6017464/1973/volvo/142?q=standard+sk10&pos=0
NH575E, I went to Messick's and priced all the seals, O-rings, and the plug on the top and bottom (same part number). It only comes up to like $35. I think I would just change the parts as that is less than half the cost of new. and the added bonus is you don't have to mess with the lines you just resealed. I have attached the drawing...get a load of the amount of each part they have on hand (see attached). I guess they used this exact part on a couple of machines, or, like you, people have problems with them.
The seals for the lines r actually called “OLIVES”.. they come in the gasket kit for a CAV DPA injection pump (found on most Ford applications) I’ve got piles of them.. The problem w the olives in the gskt kit is, they only provide 4.. 2 each of 2 diff. sizes.. & they’re for the inj pump inlet & outlet.. they don’t provide enough for the other side of the line that comes out of the filter..
It seems like some of you want to say these seals are commonly available. I didn't look for or photograph an identification plate but according to the manual our 555E, 575E, 655E, and 675E machines with emmision engines have Lucas pumps. The two lines I serviced are 5/16" diameter and the same flare at both ends. The seals I substituted fit perfectly and cost less than $5 a set with left overs. Both of the suggestions for "common" replacements have seal dimensions for odd sizes and the only one that has 4 same size seals are for 1/4" lines. Both of the suggested sets are listed at a cost of nearly $20. No doubt a professional diesel mechanic or pump guy might have seals that would work laying around. The rest of us might need a source for seals that fit and are available and affordable.
I had to get one one time for the inlet of a Stanadyne pump. I did not learn they were called Olives until later. Eventually I found someone who sold them in packs of 5 on the internet. Still have the other 4 somewhere. Mine were made by Parker and had a colored stripe down the side.
So I googled "OLIVES for New Holland tractors", And the seal below from Messick's came up.
The Lucas CAV DPA Pump is common on Ford applications.. They r now bought out by Delphi. So you’ll see a Delphi tag on a 1970 Inj pump.. but it’s still a 1970 DPA. The olive u bought for your Stanadyne/ RoosaMaster Pump is different than what’s used on the DPA.. u were working on “the fuel system”.. u shoulda contacted someone in the “fuel system” industry.. A fuel shop woulda known what u needed as soon as u said Ford or LUCAS/CAV.. IDK what they woulda charged u.. because I give’m away..
That's good to know. Further searching for the 222-103 number confirms it's for a 5/16" line. Note: Messicks shows zero in stock. Still curious why they don't list the seals for our model tractors on the parts listing for the lines. Would have saved me a lot of time.
Massey Ferguson uses the olives too and I think there are generally 2 different sizes. They're not expensive at all. Most of the older **'s had Perkins engines with the Lucas CAV DPA pumps.
Thanks for letting us know what they are called. Searching for the term "olive sleeve for 5/16" brings up more choices that should fit these lines correctly. What a stupid name for a rubber seal! Here is a set 10 on eBay for $8.99 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-...333260?hash=item4b6db82a8c:g:Y~QAAOSwTtZfc3od
If I recall they're like $.30 each from the ** dealer.
This is why I love this forum!! Everyone has specific knowledge...When we put it all together we can solve most issues...kinda like a collective genius .
No applause...just throw money!
I spent it all on the tractor...
Money makes it ALL Better, advice is costly!!
PayPal is open.. lol