Good day y'all. I've been having a terrible time finding cylinder rebuild parts for the dipper cylinder on my Case 580 CK B. It's a 4" piston, 2" rod. They come with 2-piece pistons and 1-piece pistons. My parts manual doesn't show the 1-piece design. I've pulled the cylinder apart and it's a 1-piece piston, but it doesn't look like the piston I've seen for sale on web sites. The cylinder has "G89883" stamped on it. The official Case website finds zero results. Searching on "Case G89883" produces no cylinder related items. I first ordered the rebuild kit for the cylinder shown in my manual (2-piece piston) from HW Parts store. When I took the cylinder apart, I found a 1-piece piston. Then I purchased a 1-piece rebuild kit from HW parts store and the parts don't fit the piston. The gland nut parts fit fine. I'm going on 3 weeks now without the use of my backhoe and I don't know where else to turn. I'm attaching pictures of the piston just for additional info. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Glen
Looks like an aluminum piston that someone made
It is certainly aluminum. From what I've read, that is the OEM material.
Don't know about that particular cylinder but case are usually cast iron
Well, I can't find any information to get the right seals. Just to tie up the thread... I ordered a replacement piston from HW Parts Store. The seals I bought from them will fit it. I am hoping to get it by Friday so I can be back in business this weekend.
Usually a hydraulic shop should be able to get you the seals you need. Not in a seal kit, but rather measure the piston and find what specific seals you need.
Easier to get the correct piston for the cylinder. Also much more timely. I work until 3:30. Most recommended hydraulic shop is 50 miles away and closes at 4. Thank you for your advise. Piston has already shipped and should be here by Friday, ready for me to reassemble on Saturday.