Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super K extendable dipper wear plate replacement

mbavers ยท 2018-09-14 21:34

I've got my dipper apart for hose replacements. The wear plates look OK. They extend (in height) way higher than the steel lip on the end of the dipper, so how do I know when they need to be replaced? At about $130 or so I don't really want to replace them. If I do replace them do I use the same shims that are under them now?

Replies8
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-09-14 22:35

    The ware plates shouldn't be a problem if you keep them greased, it's not like you use the extend a hoe all the time, but of course that's up to you. As far as using the same shims you'd have to take in consideration the ware on the outer housing.

  2. #2mbavers2018-09-15 12:03

    Thanks. I'll just put the old ones back.

  3. #3oceanobob2018-09-15 22:59

    Looked in the manual: Install bottom wear plate and shims so that the wear plate is even with the bottom slide rail. Install shims and top wear plate so that outside dimension is 9.19 to 9.25 inches Install side wear plates and shims so that wear plate is even with side slide rail Torque is 24 to 48 ft lbs ~~~~ Curious do you lube/grease this item or run it dry?

  4. #4mbavers2018-09-15 23:30

    Thank you for the info. I have parts manual and users manual only. I have always lubed the slide as much as possible, but I never had direct access to the wear plates, since this is the first time I have removed the outer dipper. I will certainly grease the plates before assembly. Also, they had grease on them when I took the unit apart.

  5. #5oceanobob2018-09-15 23:41

    Everyone we know greases the extendahoe. The outer part being on the bucket end of the sliding joint greatly reduces contact with dirt (unlike other machines besides Case and JD). Water gets in there (of course). One guy listened to the dealer and would not allow any grease, he sprayed dry lube graphite and then when he saw metal filings he said heck on the manual, am going back to greasing it.

  6. #6mbavers2018-09-16 00:03

    My manual says grease the slide, and I can't imagine not greasing it anyway. I've wondered how the plates get grease (aside from the initial greasing before assembly) and I guess they would eventually get grease from the dipper sliding back and forth over the greased inner slide.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2018-09-17 21:57

    There are grease ports in the outer housing for you to grease the slide or just extend it out and smear some grease on it and work it in out a few times.

  8. #8mbavers2018-09-17 22:26

    Yes, as I said, I always grease the slide. What I was referring to is greasing the wear plates.