Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 CK backhoe loader won’t move

John Siranovic · 2022-07-01 19:56

I’m looking at purchasing an old Case 580CK backhoe/ loader. The place that has it said it will not move forward or reverse. It’s runs really good and hydraulics all work and seem strong. Does anyone one know if parts are available for this and is it work trying to fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies18
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-07-01 20:08

    Welcome to HEF, John ! There are a lot of parts available both OEM and aftermarket. Also salvage yards. I think it depends on how much you have to pay for it, that will make a big difference in whether it is worth fixing. If you have to hire someone to do the repairs, that would be a deal breaker.

  2. #2John Siranovic2022-07-01 20:13

    Thanks for the reply Tinkerer. He’s asking 2500 for the machine and I believe I can get it for 2000. I have several years as an auto/truck mechanic so I was planning on doing the work myself. I have seen this problem posted on here before with no real solution.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-07-01 20:18

    If you can get it for $2000, that would be a good price. IMHO ! No forward or reverse in the 580's have been dealt with many times on HEF. There will be a lot of help here if you need it.

  4. #4John Siranovic2022-07-01 20:23

    Ok great. Thank you very much for all the information. I will post if I get it. I’m sure I will need some guidance. Thanks again and have a Happy 4th!

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-07-01 20:26

    If you do buy it don't purchase any of the manuals for it they are readily available for downloading for free.

  6. #6John Siranovic2022-07-01 20:28

    Thanks! That’s good to know. I was actually planning on buying them if I get it. Not now lol.

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-07-02 14:07

    Let us know if you buy it. I have the service manual for it and I will make it available for you.

  8. #8Bldingnspector12022-07-02 14:36

    Tinkerer, got a service manual for 1969 580 model 33 loader model 33 backhoe. I have parts manual but in searching using the part numbers I get Nadia?

  9. #9stinky642022-07-02 17:29

    If you've got a 69 CK you may not need any parts especially if the machine doesn't move in forward or reverse, could just be a clogged suction screen if you've got a shuttle and not a clutch.If the machine works in forward and not reverse or vice versa it could be an internal clutch plate problem but if it doesn't move in either you may get lucky. Search 580CK shuttle issues for more answers.

  10. #10Tinkerer2022-07-02 20:21

    I do have the 580ck (1966) service manual. It doesn't have anything in it about removing the backhoe from the tractor. It does cover the control valves, cylinders and trouble shooting procedures. Thousands of the original Case part numbers have been changed to newer ones (part numbers). The on-line parts books do not show part numbers for anything they no longer have in stock. That is why you will not numbers and descriptions for parts that are shown in the illustration list. That makes the original printed versions highly desirable because it lists everything that the machines were made of. Reproductions of those originals are available with widely varying quality.

  11. #11John Siranovic2022-07-02 22:20

    Thank guys, much appreciated. I’m going to check it out Tuesday and see what’s going on. The guys said it doesn’t go forward or reverse so I’m hoping it’s something simple. I will let you know what happens. If I do buy it I’m definitely going to need manuals and advise.

  12. #12John Siranovic2022-07-05 14:57

    So I went and looked at the CK. Just as the guy told me it does not move but it runs well and loader and hoe seem to operate as they should. Whoever had it just put 3 or 4 new hydraulic hoses on it, new front tires and a new muffler. This CK currently is owned by a tractor junk yard that does not do repairs. They just sell parts or whole running units. They said it was actually operating when the shuttle (or whatever) went out of it and they were called to come and get it. I offered them 2000 for it and they accepted so I’m supposed to go pick it up this week sometime. Could you sent me those manuals Tinkerer?

  13. #13Tinkerer2022-07-05 15:07

    Check your Private Message inbox. It will have a link to the manual in it.

  14. #14John Siranovic2022-07-05 15:30

    Thank you sir

  15. #15John Siranovic2022-07-09 09:36

    So I ended up hauling the old girl home yesterday. I unloaded and started to play. It does move both forward and reverse but slips. I drained shuttle and rear end to find it was full of water. Someone already made “the hole” for pickup tube screen. I took that out to find the screen only attached by a couple of wires. I’m in the process now of removing the pump so I can attach a new screen. Also they removed the filter and never replaced it. The one up by the radiator. My hope is that I can get this all flushed out, new oil and filter for the shuttle and it fixes the slipping.

  16. #16John Siranovic2022-07-11 10:38

    Do you still have a parts manual for the 580 CK? Can you sent me a copy?

  17. #17Tinkerer2022-07-11 14:18

    It is online here ---> https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...580ck/cn/D8CD6496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

  18. #18John Siranovic2022-07-11 14:53

    Got it. Thank you sir!