Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580 CK engine identity

packratc ยท 2011-02-09 08:37

New guy here. Just bought the roughest CK in the country. But, it moves and digs! While looking around the grease and smoke I determined that the 188 block is painted yellow. I thought it would be red. Since this hoe has been through lots of owners, I'm sure, I thought maybe someone had replaced the engine. The printed serial number has been painted over. However, the casting mark in the right side of the block is "CWG" and under that is "F76". Can anyone tell me what this casting mark means. I'm pretty sure that the hoe itself was born in 1967. One other thing: How do I identify which hydraulic pump I have as it needs rebuilding? I can see the grease-covered thing as the lower sheet metal valence and the grill are missing. I'm looking for both, along with an exhaust manifold, or would you all recommend a new exhaust manifold? This is a great site. I've been reading it everyday even before I bought the hoe.

Replies2
  1. #1melben2011-02-09 12:06
  2. #2packratc2011-02-09 19:44

    Thanks Mel, for the info. The exhaust manifold is rusted through. Evidently the guy I bought it from had the hole plugged with bondo or something, maybe JB Weld. It was not evident when I tried out the hoe. After a 200 mile trailer ride the hidden repair must have jarred out as when I got home the thing was blowing smoke from a hole on the inside of the manifold right onto the #2 injector. Oil and smoke deposits indicate that it has been doing it for quite some time. My guess is the manifold is too thin to weld the hole up, although I could take it off and try it. I'll check into the price of the hydraulic pump. I'm in the dark when you say that they are reasonably priced. I think my oil filter base is horizontal and facing rearward. Isn't that where the engine serial numbers are located? Thanks again. I already have many other questions>