Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

78 jd 410 shifting instructions needed

goldenboy ยท 2011-02-09 08:00

I just recently aquired a 78 jd 410. its got hi/low/park on left shifter and 1-4 on right shifter. It also has a forward reverse lever under steering wheel. Is it normal to let out the clutch in selected gear and nothing happens till you hit the throttle? Also, boom to stick pin and bushings need to be changed. How is that done, I have the pin and bushing that came with it.

Replies7
  1. #1Deon2011-02-09 19:49

    As for the shifting. I have owned a 1981 410. It should have been the same as yours. Just to confirm the model, your 4 speed transmission should be 1st gear upper left, 2nd lower left, 3rd lower right and 4th upper right. If that is like yours then we would have same machines. If so the clutch is engaged only after you have released the clutch and the hydraulic accumulator has dumped oil pressure to engage the clutch plates. You do not need to release the clutch slowly like a car. The clutch is designed to be popped. Actually it is designed to shift from forward to reverse with the steering column shuttle lever at any throttle position including wide open. Changing direction is done with foot of the clutch. Each time you press the clutch or sift direction the accumulator disengages the hydraulic clutch and eases it back in at just the right speed for a smooth engagement. The bad part about all this is that you cannot ride the clutch nor can you control exactly when it engages. That being said, if your clutch is released and you wait a second for the accumulator to dump, your 410 should either begin rolling off or the engine should stall if your in too high a gear. The accumulator is a cylinder mounted on the right side of the motor just ahead of the cab. The accumulator is loaded with CO2 in the top portion. The CO2 compresses to cause the clutch engage at a controlled rate by hydraulic oil leaving the accumulator bottom. This machine also has a dry clutch between the transmission and the engine (typical bell housing clutch). It is only used by lifting a lever on you clutch pedal with you hand that allows you to press the pedal all the way to the floor to disengage the transmission form the motor for cold starting. To replace your pins and bushings. Tots of weight to handle there. Your need to set up lifting devises to safely handle the dipper once removed. A forklift or another hoe and straps can work. The bushings can be removed by cutting a slot through the bushing. It then is able to collapse just enough so you can tap it out with a punch. Installing the new bushing can be done many ways. Just search this site and you will find treads that have been posted in the past. I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Good luck

  2. #2goldenboy2011-02-10 14:20

    thank you very much, i couldn't ask for a better explanation.

  3. #3jyork782011-02-17 16:29

    Mine starts to slip when going up a hill in 7th or 8th gear. Any suggestions? 1981 410 JD

  4. #4Deon2011-02-17 20:46

    I have owned an 81 410 and sold it with 7500 hrs. but I have never had any clutch problems. All I know is there is a reverser built into the transmission and a dry clutch in the bell housing. The dry clutch is never disengaged except for cold starts so I cannot imagine it would be worn. If you go to www.deere.com , construction equipment, parts, parts catalogue and type in 410 in the model search you will be able to view all the clutch plates. I don't know how you would know what is slipping or why. Hopefully someone will read your post and come back with good knowledge. Good luck.

  5. #5Drc2011-02-18 00:32

    I really liked the JD 310, 410 of the late 70's, 8 speed transmission, super low 1.5 mph 1 st gear, forward reverse shuttle. the machine run and operated best at "high" 2700 rpm. They would dig a 1000 foot of 4' deep trench a day, so much for progress?

  6. #6Deon2011-02-18 21:26

    I wish I had taken photos but I didn't. I had a dump trailer with 20" truck wheels. The trailer hooked to the back of my 81 410 with a long, low trailer tongue that came from under the left side of the trailer and attached to the backhoe just left of the hoe swing. I dumped the box with the hoe bucket by lifting the front of the box by a hook welded to the left front corner of the box. The box was hinged high enough that the box would tip right up straight. I would load the trailer with the backhoe while the trailer was attached and haul 4 yards in the trailer and 1 1/4 in the loader bucket. The standard shift was nice for hauling over 5 yards of dirt down the road but not as nice as the torque converter system on my 310D for loader work. I did have fun with that old 410 but my 310D is much quieter in the cab.

  7. #7Glen19782011-02-18 21:39

    Thats pretty slick right there. Adapt and overcome! Love it!