Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 ck shuttle problem

gator_08 ยท 2023-11-06 01:36

I've recently purchased a case 580ck backhoe that takes a little while to warm up and get moving forwards or backwards and after about an hour of driving the shuttle struggles to go into forwards then is very underpowered when it does it get worse the longer it's driven. I was going up a small incline and tractor wouldn't go any further forward left it had lunch came back hour later it started up and moved fine! Any help any pointers? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632023-11-06 08:13

    Sounds like its starved for oil. Has the level been checked? What kind if oil may be in it?

  2. #2XessReality2023-11-08 14:32

    This seems to be the most popular early 580's issue... My 580 B has a version of it as well. Acute causes can vary, but essentially Vetech is correct about the oil starvation. In my machine , the issue was caused by a plugged pump intake screen which I corrected by cutting my own access hole in the cast iron sump. Detailed instruction are available on this forum if need be. Before you jump to any conclusions, you should be prepared to do some basic pressure/function tests. Do a search for 580 shuttle... and make sure you have some time to absorb it all.

  3. #3Glen Weldon2023-11-08 18:47

    I also have the same issue with my 580B. I also corrected...somewhat... the issue by cutting my own access hole in the case iron sump. The previous owner drilled a hole in the correct spot, but then the idiot wadded up the pickup screen with a punch or something! I drilled a larger hole (wish I had made it even bigger) and was able to un-wad the screen slightly and remove a bunch of debris. I tapped the hole with a 1 1/4 pipe tap, which is a huge thing to try to turn by hand under the best conditions. Much more difficult with two adjustable wrenches. It worked and doesn't leak. My machine will move when cold. Slows down when warm. Used to stop after a few minutes and refuse to move. I wasn't aware the original 580s had this issue. I thought it was just the Bs.

  4. #4ECL2024-08-09 09:29

    Looking for the info to check pressure of torque converter and accessing pickup screen if needed for 580CK 1971 model. Forward and reverse lever on column 4 speed. Seems to move only with high rpm and better in 2nd gear than 1st.. ?