Hi All. I am thinking about buying a machine. I will be using this machine to help lift truck frames that I cut up all day as well as load and unload trailers. Anyways I have the opportunity to buy this tractor with a bucket and backhoe the kick is the serial plate has been broken off the tractor, and the injection pump is missing. I can get it for $2900 and I believe a few injection pumps came on the g188 diesel used in the 1969-1972 case 580 construction king's. So finding a pump may be difficult I found them for about a grand just need to call a dealer for the part number once I find the serial number on engine. Also most hydraulic hoses are decent most rams dont appear to be leaking. Any other things I can look for before I pull the trigger? Being that I cannot start it and drive it are there any other concerns? I checked pin play in loader and hoe seems pretty tight yet. There are so many levers I do not even know how to operate the tractor, is it a power shuttle or manual shuttle? Up infront of the radiator there is just the hydraulic pump nothing else leads me to believe it is a manual shuttle. How do I drive this thing. The shifter don't really want to move but its 0 degrees out. I appreciate all your help and input. Thanks Jay
Price seems a little high w/ no injector pump and not having any idea what shape it is in mechanically. We sold one like this last year for $3500 running w/ good tires and just serviced. Is the hyd ram leaned up against front bucket removed from the machine?
It's almost impossible to answer your question w/o it running (for me anyway). There could be so many things that need repair/replacement (engine, transmission, brakes, seals, lines, etc., etc., etc.). Your tires are almost bald and one is flat. That's obvious, but if it were my money, that's the tip of the iceberg w/o it running.
Exactly what they said, that's a fair price in running condition with the things that you can see that need attention. Not running you have no idea what is wrong that you can't see, the seals are likely to start leaking as soon as it's running and you have no idea why the injection pump was removed. At best the pump failed and former owner never got it replaced, and you MIGHT do OK with the machine. At worst EVERYTHING was near shot and somebody stole the pump anyway.
I would rather spend 4 to 5k and be able to run one before buying, there out there for that.
I would first find out if there is antifreeze in it, need a pick under the fuel tank at the top of the trans tube,and looking down from the seat to the gear shift level, this will help to let you know if it has a clutch or shuttle. The backhoe is a 33 hoe, single boom cylinder for the lift, with foot swing and three stick controls, nice high heap rear bucket, the loader frame looks in good shape with no cracks that I can see from the pics. To say it just needs a pump, are the lines and injectors still with it, can see the can on the pipe. So we are down to the issue buy/pass, you may get lucky and put the pump on and it runs, moves, functions. Then you may find deeper issues. I would only do this if it had a mech shuttle and spare time and money to throw at it. If your using it yourself it could be priceless if it runs out good. This machine is not as strong as the newer 580's
Thank everyone for your answers! I will post up a picture as sheep-foot requested so I can find out if it is indeed a manual shuttle. I am so glad I asked the advice I received from rickw, Catback, Delmer and Denver m farms showed me that maybe this was not as great of a deal as I had hoped. I have never seen one for that low of a price but you guys assured me they are out there and that either tells me two things get this one cheep enough or turn my head and keep looking. I told him as of right now I wont be doing the $2900 its been for sale for awhile now. I think I can get it for $2200. I will post pictures today or tomorrow that I took not the ones that he listed on his ad so it will allow some better input and sheepfoot can help if it is a manual or power shuttle trans. thanks all also if anyone needs a 2008 powerstroke frame or a 2004 toyota tundra frame let me know before i cut them up.
Also RickW that cylinder is NOT from this machine
would bring about $1000 for recycled metal plz keep looking,, a fair/good machine has costly up keep,,,,,,, that size and year machine is flooding the market,,,tell him you get it out his way for free
Also RickW that cylinder is NOT from this machine
Look at tractor house, sevarel decent looking case and Deere machines in the 4 to 6k range on there.
I traded a rifle for mine and it was running.
Upkeep is high enough, but repairs are the killer. Even aftermarket parts are high. A fuel injection pump is NOT a good place to start. Some hoes are given to relatives and then they can easily spend $4000 to $8000 to get everything repaired. And that's considering parts only, doing the work yourself... Backhoes are REALLY HANDY to have around but they ARE NOT a cheap toy. If you do not have a big need for one or you are SURE you can make money with it you are better off without it. If you have some free time, read this thread for amusement. !
I talked myself into a cheap, needs some work tractor, I am still working on it more than with it after two years, once and IF I ever get it functioning pretty well it goes away and I will buy something that needs a lot less to keep it moving and working. $1000 is almost too much to give not knowing what engine condition is, what hydraulics problems are and so on, definitely needs rubber, that is at least a grand just for tires, maybe $1500. Pig in a poke.
I have the same machine 1968 with 188 and shuttle, which I purchased almost 20 years ago from the 2nd owner. In good order, its a nice little machine. As mentioned in the above posts, its not a big or powerful as the later 580s. Value is relative to condition and if its not running, has little value above scrap. The shuttle can be problematic and expensive to repair. Without power, you won't be able to determine the condition of the main backhoe control valve and all the cylinders. Pins and bushings are Case only for the model 33 hoe, unless there is a new aftermarket supplier in the past few years. You can find the parts manual for both hoe and tractor on the Case web site. The exploded views would give you a better idea of the manual or power shuttle and to list out whats missing. Check out the availability and cost of take out 188s to get an idea of the minimum you might need to spend to get it running. As others have already said in the other posts, it can become very expensive to bring it back, exceeding the value vs buying a known runner. I got mine as a runner 20 yrs ago for $4000, but spent another $5000 in parts alone to re bush and pin the hoe and rebuild some of the cylinders to fix all the minor leaks. For me, it was worth it back then, but today I would look twice at doing it again. Good luck and have fun with whatever you end up doing. Jess