Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 hard to turn

TNTRanch · 2024-08-26 16:40

I have a 78 case 580c. It’s hard to turn especially when there is a load. Is this normal or is there something I can do or check. Thanks.

Replies19
  1. #1stinky642024-08-26 17:04

    Is the pump whining when you try to turn, have you checked the fluid, is your tire pressure low?

  2. #2TNTRanch2024-08-26 18:27

    Tyre pressure is definitely not low. I will double check whether the pump is whining when I’m turning I don’t hear anything but I can have my son turn while I’m on the ground so I can hear better. I will have to look up how to check the fluid I have not done that. So are you saying there is a separate and specific pump for the steering? So there is also separate fluid specific to the steering? Sorry for the dumb questions I am a horse trainer not a tractor guy and I’m having to work on my own stuff right now. Thank you for your help.

  3. #3stinky642024-08-26 20:18

    Right side of engine toward front is where p/s pump lives. Dipstick is 1 1/2" round cap. Check when running. Manual says Case TCH fluid recommended, mine had ATF in it when I got it so that's what's left in. Works fine.

  4. #4Tinkerer2024-08-26 20:41

    There is replaceable filter in the ps pump housing. From your description I would suspect one of the power steering hydraulic cylinders has problem. It is never a good thing to reseal just one of them. A piston in one of them may be unbolted from the rod.

  5. #5Tones2024-08-26 21:07

    I'm reasonably sure there's only one pump and in the system there'll be a priority valve for the steering. As the name suggests it gives steering absolute priority over all other functions. If it fails other functions will continue to work as normal. It's not something a rank amateur should be fiddling with so I suggest getting help, it could be cheaper to watch and learn.

  6. #6TNTRanch2024-08-26 23:52

    Thanks everyone. I will check all of these things. Thank you again.

  7. #7TNTRanch2024-08-26 23:56

    Thank you for the honesty I appreciate that.

  8. #8stinky642024-08-27 09:32

    Reasonably incorrect. There is a dedicated pump for steering only, right where described.

  9. #9580bob2024-08-27 09:56

    if it will turn easy with no load in the front bucket then the kingpins and bearings are at fault

  10. #10Tinkerer2024-08-27 12:15

    First image is the filter. Click your cursor on the image for a better view.

  11. #11TNTRanch2024-08-27 16:00

    UPDATE: the reservoir was empty. I added fluid. That helped but seems to be intermittent. Turning right was good turning left at times was difficult.

  12. #12Billrog2024-08-27 17:15

    Add some more fluid and turn the wheel back and forth a few more times.

  13. #13stinky642024-08-28 10:07

    ^^^^What he said, if the system was that low you need to displace any air that's in the system. If that fixes it make sure to look for leaks to prevent this from happening again. Got lucky this time may burn up the pump next time.

  14. #14TNTRanch2024-08-28 10:20

    Can I rebuild the pump or do you have to purchase a new one? I did what he suggested and it works really good for a while then goes back to intermittently not turning.

  15. #15stinky642024-08-28 10:37

    Before you do any rebuilding, there is a replaceable filter inside the pump reservoir Case part #A42242, can probably get aftermarket if you search that # online. Never did mine but looks fairly simple, picture shows retaining nut on end of reservoir and a nut inside to release a spring and seat. Mark the position of the reservoir/ filler neck and the pump so you get an accurate level when reinstalled. Look at the lower picture in the above post for reference #9 is the filter element.

  16. #16Tinkerer2024-08-28 11:24

    Your pump may have been damaged from running it low on oil. If the front seal in it is leaking the oil will be going go into the engine. Buy a used pump from a savage yard. It shouldn’t be hard to find one. After you install it you will then know if the old pump was the problem.

  17. #17stinky642024-08-28 16:45

    Agree pump may be compromised , but new filter from Broken Tractor or other vendors is $11, maybe try that first.

  18. #18stinky642024-08-28 18:03

    Don't know how close to a NAPA you are but if time is an issue I have been able to get all the other filters for my machine by crossing OEM #'s to Napa gold filters. They may stock steering filter, think it crosses to several different Case machines.

  19. #19TNTRanch2024-08-29 09:54

    Yea I’m going to try filter first. If that doesn’t work then move to pump. Thanks