Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 B backhoe won’t move in reverse

spazzman ยท 2024-08-26 11:28

I have a Case Backhoe 580 B. When I bought it, it would not go into reverse. I have tested the shuttle pressure in forward, neutral, and reverse. According to the book, I have the proper pressure. It will move forward but not reverse. If I lift the back wheels up, they will spin in reverse, but it just doesn't seem to have the power when it is on the ground. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Vetech632024-08-26 15:49

    I suspect you have a broken washer or burned up plates in the reverse clutch pack.

  2. #2spazzman2024-08-27 12:01

    I was afraid that it would be burned plates in the reverse clutch back. But what is this about a broken washer.

  3. #3Vetech632024-08-27 19:56

    There is a bevelle washer used as a spring in the clutch pack. Sometimes they break and the pieces will prevent the clutch pack from squeezing down.

  4. #4spazzman2024-08-27 23:10

    I'm not quite sure what you mean by clutch pack.

  5. #5Vetech632024-08-28 07:47

    This is going to be way over your head. I suggest you have someone with experience troubleshoot your problem. You will need someone with experience to repair it also.

  6. #6melben2024-08-28 09:47

    The 580 B is a totally different animal than the unit with the Bellville washer, that system came out with the C series and was used through the early K series. If your pressures are good in both F&R it sounds like the revers clutch pack has failed, you can look at them both through the top cover opening , it is the cover ahead of the 4 speed shifter cover but any internal repair means a split at that joint.

  7. #7Vetech632024-08-28 18:01

    Thank you for correcting me. I was thinking the B was the same.