I've acquired a Case 580 loader/backhoe recently but can't narrow down what exactly it is. She wasn't the best looking girl at the dance, but she's the one who went home with me. ointhead (front grill missing intentionally) So, I went to NAPA to get a hydraulic filter for this tractor, which was told to me to be a Case 580B. Bring the filter home and it does not fit, too big. Took the old filter back and they matched it up to be a 580CK. Here's the filter housing: Also, bought an air filter at the same time which fit my backhoe, the aforementioned 580B. NAPA said there was not an air filter for the 580CK that they could get when I went back to get the replacement hydraulic filter. Here is the "not easily read" serial number below the instrument gauges. It reads: 580BCK 87427?? Here is another "not easily read" serial number on the driver side frame. It reads: 580B 5293265 Here's a backhoe picture that says it's a Case CK So, my question is...Is this a 580B, 580CK, or a 580BCK? Or "D" all of the above? I've got another picture to follow this, since I uploaded my maximum of 5 pictures here, that says it's a 580B on the side, above the engine.
Here is the photo of the front that says it's a 580B And another of the instrument cluster just left of the wheel, I know 1 or 2 are not original. Any help is appreciated on what I've got
You asked "Is this a 580B, 580CK, or a 580BCK? Or "D" all of the above?" and the answer is, you have a 580B tractor. The CK stands for Construction King, which I always assumed meant that it had the loader/backhoe option. When looking for parts, 580B should be sufficient. If you're looking for parts for just the loader/hoe it's a Case model 35. There are several online dealers with excellent parts lists and exploded views - my personal favorite is Messick's. However, I rarely if ever buy parts from the dealer. Do a search for Case 580B on eBay and you'll have a boatload, but the best place online by far is TractorStuff - they've got a great selection of new, NOS, and aftermarket parts, great prices, and they're wonderful people to work with. By the way, the top two gauges shown in the last picture are original - the bottom two are not. Oh, and one last thing - you've come to the right place - this forum is the best place to get help with your project. Before you get a bigger hammer, ask. Welcome! PG
She's a cute one! Papa Goose is correct, it's a 580B CK with a Model 35 Loader and Backhoe. Your serial falls into a range I believe makes it a 1974 (8736601 to 8770000). Other serial locations f.y.i.: Tractor Serial should be on the steering column on the right while seated. Engine serial should be below the power steering pump. Loader serial should be on the hydraulic reservoir where you step onto the machine. Hoe serial should be near the left outrigger on the side. The housing you show (behind the grill) is the shuttle transmission filter. Should be a NAPA 1518 The hydraulic filter is near the right side loader pivot and may have a pressure gauge on it. Unscrews from the bottom. Your machine has the anti vandalism kit and looks to have had the noise reduction kit also. It's also been painted at least once and appears to have the larger front counter weight. Like Papa Goose said ask here first!
If you don't mind waiting for UPS, the best place I've found for filters is Action Auto Supply in Norwalk, Ohio. They have auctions on eBay and specialize in Wix filters, which I think are pretty decent quality. I sent them a list of the filters I needed for my 580B and they put together an auction for that particular set at a great price. Even sent me a Wix hat. Ask for Mike Reilly - very helpful guy. FYI - Action Auto Supply goes by aautosupply on eBay.
Pappa Goose is correct Tractor stuff and this web page can help you fix anything on that backhoe... JUST asK. PS thank you for the info about filters. I need to replace all of mien when I change the oil next week.
Thanks for all the info, I see where my NAPA mistake was. I was thinking the filter on the front of the tractor was for all the hydraulics, instead it's just for the tranny. I've checked tractorstuff before, they have alot of inventory, I only wish they had online ordering. I bought some differential brake parts from EPS (equipment parts source), and they were very quick in getting my order too me. http://www.equipmentpartssource.com/
Looks alot like the 580b I just picked up, well bought anyway. Picking it up once I get the replacement starter installed next week. Not sure of the year of mine either, got to check the serial number and see.
Looks like you have an 'R' stamped on the right side of the tractor decal plate. If so there's a good chance it's a Rockwell shuttle, unless changed. I've seen front grills made out of catwalk, I believe it's called, works well if yours is missing. Phil
I have a 580B very similar yours. It was nice to read all the response you got from this forum. I have been using mine for about 9 years now on my property and its been a very useful and dependable machine. I just started having a tranny problem and found this forum searching for info. Sounds like a lot of very nice and helpful people out there. Cant wait to get my post up get her back up and moving. Good luck with your new hoe...
Just to let everyone know, I called Action Auto Supply. They don't have an ebay store anymore, they set up the ebay store to get rid of some inventory from buying out another store. There prices are comparable to most places. Although better than Napa online! Probably the best place to get filters online would be www.fleetfilter.com
hi guys its me again, i have the same problem the part here is i cant see any number in plates, so im wondering where is the chassis the die number
Phil, I'm new to the backhoe world, I'm picking one up and it has the "R" stamped on the plate ... I"m wondering if it does have the Rockwell shuttle you speak of, is it a good or bad thing? Thanks for any help!!
FYI the tractor serial number is usually stamped on the radiator mount on the left side.
I cant tell u the year but I can usually tell u what u have.. just by the inj. pump #'s.. That being said.. its not uncommon to replace an inj. pump w/ another off a "parts machine".. cuz just like everything else.. "it looked the same"..
I also have been getting some conflict with obtaining the correct parts for my recently acquired, what I believe to be, 580 Super L CK. Not sure why it is so hard to find a site that would easily give info (year/model/series/options) base on the serial number, since it so important for maintenance reasons. Can anyone post info or have a link to such a site that has an explanation of the Case serial number digits in any detail? ?? ??
Are you saying that you are not sure if you do in fact have a 580SL ? Do you have the serial number available ? It should look something like ASN JJG02XXXXX.
Well I think it is a 580SL but it has been repainted and new stickers and so at this point I am taking the word of the seller until I can confirm. I have a series 2 parts book because it was the most available. My machine does not have the series 2 stickers so....It could be a series 1. My serial number is similar, JJG019XXXX. Is there some where to check? I know that with car serial numbers many of the digits mean specifics for the vehicle build, from engine and trans to paint, interior and options. Is there an explanation somewhere as to how Case formats serial numbers? Or do you need to be in a secret club with special handshakes and initiation hazings??
Initiation is that you have to give the machine away to someone who knows what it is. Then you'll know for next time to figure out what it is before purchase. Some serial numbers don't necessarily get you the correct part numbers. An early model change or late model before the change could have different parts than what the parts book calls. I had a 1987 Ford Ranger that used a different steering arm than what the parts book called for. It was close to when the change took place. I've seen it on heavy equipment too.
If your engine has an inline fuel injection pump it is a series 2. If it has a rotary pump it is a 580Sl. They weren't called a series 1 as far as I know. There are a lot of differences in the two models other than the IPs. I think your machine is a 1996 or early to mid 1997. There really isn't much, if any info. for year of manufacture and corresponding serial numbers available to non-dealer folks like us.
Ahhhh.... I understand.... There REALLY IS a secret club but if you tell me... you gotta kill me! It's probably like Welder Dave says and this, like most things I end up with, is a ba$t*rd, put together with all the parts they had left over at the end of the week. I have to call the dealer on Monday for some parts so we'll see what they say. I just thought I could save the parts guy, and myself, some time and trouble of ordering the wrong parts several times over if I was better informed. Thanks