Hello, I have a leaking swing piston and want to remove it to have the seal replaced. It is not clear how the cylinder is attached to the tractor underneath the seat. I can see that there is a pin going through end of the cylinder, but can't find the c-clip that is holding it in. The pin is vertical, and I'm searching for the c-clip on top with hopes that once it is removed, the pin can then be pulled out and I can then remove the cylinder. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks ahead of time for your assistance.
I can tell you that most like to do the swing cylinders ON the machine without ever taking the pin out or the hoses loose. They swing the boom from side to side to do one side at the time.
Thanks very much for you suggestion. Up to this point, I have been removing the hydraulics and taking them to a local shop to have the seals rebuilt. I had not considered replacing the seals myself. Do you have instructions on how to do this? Will I need special tools? Best Regards, Keith
If you can get the front disconnected then the gland will need to be unscrewed. This does need a $100+ tool. Google "OTC1266" plus a 3/4" pull handle sometimes with a long cheater bar. Some use a LARGE pipe wrench for this. If they have been off before it might not be too bad. There is a small locking screw that may need to be removed on the side/end. It is a fairly messy job because you will be losing hydraulic fluid no matter what. If you could get it this far then get the rod/piston out, you could take that to the shop to let them do the rest.
I bought a very good quality large (that is the size you will need) gland wrench from Amazon.com .They are also available on ebay. Less than $50.00. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=large+Adjustable+Gland+Nut+Wrench&_sop=15 http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3v12lr1b0i_b
I just pulled the swing cyinders on my 480B. The set up may not be the same on your 580 k; but on mine the pins are held in place by a trapezoid shaped wedge with two bolts through it, which once removed the pins can be pulled out. The same bolts/wedge were holding the pins on the bottom of the cylinders as well. If you can leave it on the machine it would be easier I would imagine. I took mine to the hydraulic shop because I couldn't get the rods pulled out and didn't want to screw them up somehow.