Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580 master brake cylinder

mbavers ยท 2019-09-20 12:23

I just received 2 new brake master cylinders. On one of them the two rear ports are deeper than on the original cylinder and the threads do not go all the way down (see picture). Broken Tractor.com sent me a replacement and the replacement is the same. Since the threads are incomplete, the flare nut cannot be tightened to the bottom and it leaks. While I was on the phone with them they opened checked some others from their stock and they are all the same..incomplete threads. Has anyone else ever gotten a new cylinder with this problem? Since one of the new cylinders was good, I think there was a change in the manufacturing process somewhere. Broken Tractor says they have not had any problems yet, but I'm sure no one is going to be able to use the cylinders with the incomplete threads. In the picture the old cylinder is on the left.

Replies13
  1. #1alrman2019-09-20 18:29

    Have you actually tried to fit the pipes? Sometimes looks can be deceiving..... Is there a brand name or other identification cast or stamped into the new cylinder?

  2. #2edgephoto2019-09-20 19:54

    The double flare sticks out a bit from the nut so the threads don't have to go all the way down. Go to auto parts store and try a line from their assortment and see if it tightens up. I bet it does.

  3. #3mbavers2019-09-20 20:52

    Yes, I attached a brand new line and screwed it down as far as it would go, and there was still enough clearance so that I could move the line in and out by hand. The only stamping on the casting is Frey, the company whose name appears on the box. It is made in Turkey.

  4. #4mbavers2019-09-20 20:57

    That's what I did. See above reply to alrman One of the cylinders had the threads all the way down and it fits correctly and does not leak. This cylinder is obviously from a new batch where the casting was somehow changed (maybe a different supplier).

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-09-22 08:50

    The thread title says 580. Isn't this the 580SK you were posting about a while ago with the crossover tube question ? My guess is that the master cylinder you are having a problem with is actually for a 580K. Packaged in the wrong box. Have you considered putting an overhaul kit in one or both of your original cylinders ? It would be cheaper than $125.00.

  6. #6franklin22019-09-22 09:05

    Automotive master cylinders use these replaceable seats. Can't tell if those use these, they don't look like they are brass in your picture.

  7. #7mbavers2019-09-22 13:27

    I don't like to overhaul cylinders this old. One I'm replacing has been overhauled. As near as I can tell, not only is the seat not removable, it appears to be cast as part of the whole cylinder. Close inspection reveals the tiny imperfections in the surface (sand mold?) associated with castings. Even the threads seem to be rolled rather than cut. The only other cylinder that could be confused with this one is the one with a 7/8" bore, and this is the correct one with a 1" bore.

  8. #8mbavers2019-09-22 13:29

    Yes, same one with crossover tube question. Sorry I answered wrong post above.

  9. #9Tinkerer2019-09-22 15:06

    The 580K and 580Sk use the same tubes for the mc's. So, my guess that you had a mis-packaged cylinder is worthless info. Both machines you the same tubes. Apparently Broken Tractor and a vendor on ebay are selling the same cylinders. The images in their offers are identical. That ebay cylinder is $51.99. as opposed to BK at $115.00 ! https://www.ebay.com/itm/182445A1-B...-580K-580L-580M-D143162-D141150-/163667004369 Edgephoto had the best suggestion for you about finding a fitting that fits the mc.

  10. #10mbavers2019-09-22 15:26

    At this point I really don't care about the price (within reason); I just want a good cylinder. It is interesting that one of the cylinders from Broken Tractor was good; the threads went all the way down and it doesn't leak. Somewhere along the line the distributor (Frey) switched manufacturers. I guess they got a bid a few pennies cheaper. Surely they are going to be getting more returns if they keep selling these bad cylinders.

  11. #11mbavers2019-09-22 16:50

    Yeah, I just found that $51 cylinder on EBay and it is stamped "FREY" on it. That's the one I had to return. I'll bet that's why it's being unloaded so cheap.

  12. #12Tinkerer2019-09-22 20:12

    Call Dale Wiess. He is a second generation Case dealer who no longer has a dealership, but is very active selling anything Case. I would be surprised if he doesn't have a solution for you. Here is a link to his website. ----> http://e-backhoeparts.com/

  13. #13mbavers2019-09-22 21:51

    His prices are a little high. I am sure of the problem with the Frey cylinders and already returned the bad one to Broken tractor.