Have a fuel leak (I believe) in one of the lines going to a cooler in front of the radiator. Why is a fuel cooler needed? I'm changing both lines as I can't determine which one is leaking. Definitely not high pressure hoses. One line is from the top of the tank - nearest the outside. Other line is from the injector pump - very front / outside. Do I need to do anything special to fill these hoses before starting back up? Thanks, Mike.
Tubing is replaced. No issues found. Still interested in why it has a fuel cooler. Also noticed the engine coolant radiator is stacked with the same size hydraulic oil cooler (appears to have two separate circuits for the hydraulic). How do you clean these radiators? Not running hot but I'm sure it could use a good bath. Thanks.
Howdy bootheel, Previous case tech here. I know that the SM series 1 is the first to introduce the fuel cooler I believe in these models it was to take heat away from the high pressure of pump. Better fuel consumption if it is cooler. In the later models they do it cause the common rail systems get the fuel really hot. Best way to clean the plastic top radiator is to flush it. We generally used a cleaner and then flushed them three times. Take the coolers apart ie remove the fuel cooler then the charge air and blow out the fins good. We used to send the cac’s out if they were really oily to be yanked and boiled. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
I've done alot of work on 580SM ser1 & never seen a fuel cooler on one, over here they are all mechanical injection. However I do see them listed in the parts book for a ser 3. As to why it's there, I think it would be for common rail engine models only. No doubt someone who gets paid alot more than me seems to think it is necessary. Maybe that same guy thought it's a good idea to stack 4 different coolers in front of each other - without any means of separating them for cleaning purposes? - pure genius! Yep, the only way to ensure good air flow through them is to unbolt the mounts & separate them.
Thank you both for informative replys. irncwby44 - I do have another off toppic question. Why is the hydraulic tank under pressure all the time? About how much pressure? What regulates this pressure? To help prevent moisture condensation in the fuel tank, why not pressure this tank slightly? Thanks again for sharing information on stuff I'm never sure about but enjoy playing with.
The expansion of the hydraulic oil creates pressure in a vent-less system. As you guessed - it is to keep moisture out. I don't what the psi would be.
The pressure in the hyd. tank is as Tinkerer says the oil expansion and heat of oil builds pressure, it helps to supply the hyd. pump as it is just a bit above oil level. When and if you have to replace pump you would need to pressurize tank to charge pump before starting machine.
Also good to know. Hopefully that will be for the grandkids to work on. I'm surprised the oil reservoir and system can retain that residual pressure over time but I suppose if there are no major leaks then it can't get out. Appreciate the information. You can't post too much for me.