I noticed this on our company surplus auction website today and thought someone on this forum might be interested. I'm not sure what model it is- looks like my 580C except the cab color is brown and the muffler is on the other side. It is not at my plant so I don't know anything about it. Anyone who might be interested in it can register on the website to ask questions and/or bid. http://www.aepsurplus.com/program/auction.cfm?do=detail&auctionID=3815&categoryID=14
Can't explain that one but it looks like it has the CDC engine, blowing the side shot up to 400 % you can see the CDC oil fill and fuel filter. At one time there kits to retrofit the CDC into the earlier machines so maybe that is whats goin on here. I have never heard of Case supplying that early a machine with the CDC. Just my thoughts, what do you all think?
I have never heard of a Case CDC engine Melben. I did a quick Google search and learned what they are. Here is a copy and paste of a description I shamelessly have taken from another web-site forum. "It should be noted that the reason that the Engines in the Case I-H Products were not called Cummins is that the original Company was called Consolidated Diesel Corp (a joint venture between Case and Cummins)-the 50% made for Cummins were called Cummins, and the Case I-H side we called CDC's"
It's definitely not a "C". Maybe an "E".
Looks Like A 480 guys .Only on cylinder on the boom
YUP, says so on the top of the dipper, a 480F. Guess we will have to look things over better and not take an auction ad at face value lol.
Wow, good eye noticing the 480. Oh well made for some conversation anyway. Ill contact the auction and advise them they have misrepresented this. Thanks, Bryan
You can tell it's a 480 quick, 33 hoe, cab, single left hand door, battery box door on the right, paint
Were there any 580s that had no access from the right side?
My 1980 580C looks just like it except my cab is black. My battery box is on the right side and unless you want to crawl in thru the right side window, the only way in is the door on the left side. The hoe is different - I have 2 boom lift cyls and the extendable dipper. The front bucket links on mine are flat steel where the links on this one look heavier.
I think all the Case 480 TBCs only had 1 boom lift cylinder Did the 580s not have the door on the left and the battery box on the right as well
Bill you are correct, all 480's had the 33 hoe with the single boom cylinder. The only 580 built with a swing out battery box was the 580c, 580 A/B was in the floor, D/E main frame box. The 580 A/B/C had the split door on the left, D/E had full doors on the left, all had a right side window. K had right and left full doors. All the 480's only had the split left hand doors and right hand window. During the 80's with the 480E the cummins engine and 4x4 came out in them. The 580D up graded to 4x4 and new cab, then the E series with the cummins engine, still using the two boom cylinder 35 backhoe, new materials used in bucket links/castings/front axles etc. Then the k series that had many changes.
One can tell you have been around these machines a long time- I admire how someone can tell what model a machine is just by looking at it. Ive just started working for a case dealership 3 years ago so Im just getting to know them but I do know people love there old case backhoes and that machine is what made the company.