Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 seat shock absorber

Birdseye · 2023-03-11 00:04

After redoing my Case 580se brakes, floor, seat base etc, I decided to pull the upper seat apart to clean, repair and repaint. The shock absorber needs replacement, but are $200 at the dealer. Has anyone tried using any of the cheaper, various aftermarket shocks in place of a broken oem unit? I see one that is about the correct dimensions 7.5” closed- 11” open: Shock Absorber For Seat | Agri Supply 34130 Agri Supply carries over 26,000 products for your farm, shop, or home. www.agrisupply.com

Replies13
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2023-03-11 20:39

    You should be able to find an aftermarket shock online just use the Case part number and see what comes up.

  2. #2Birdseye2023-03-13 13:30

    It’s a N8488 shock absorber. I haven’t found an aftermarket source. I wish the aftermarket sellers would list the specs compressed and expanded sizes but they don’t always. May have to just bite the bullet and send two Benjamin’s to Mr. case.

  3. #3stinky642023-03-14 11:22

    Try reliable aftermarket parts online, but you need to use the Case part # to search online. They also have a phone # so you can talk to a human and ask questions.

  4. #4Tinkerer2023-03-15 08:46

    Dale Wiess will prolly have a solution. https://e-backhoeparts.com/contact_us

  5. #5Birdseye2023-03-27 18:53

    Dale and others just have the Case oem shock so I decided not to replace it for now. However as I was reassembling the seat after cleaning/painting I noticed that the shock is connected between the top seat bracket and the bottom seat supporting arm. Once the seat shell is bolted between these two brackets, there can’t be any movement of the shock absorber, so I’m not sure if it did anything to begin with. I think I’m looking at it correctly but maybe I’m missing something. It’s hard to believe they’d put on a shock that didn’t actually function, I just can’t see how the shock absorber would move once the seat is bolted in place.

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-03-28 02:52

    Maybe the shock is still good? If it does work I think it stops the seat from being like a pogo stick if you hit a big bump.

  7. #7Vetech632023-03-28 07:58

    The shock absorber acts against the spring movement. Without it you would be bouncing in the seat like Gumby at every little dip..........then your back will go out and your wife will be pissed that you can no longer perform those honey do's.

  8. #8Birdseye2023-03-28 09:08

    I get that the shock is supposed to dampen the bounce effect of the spring but since both ends of the shock are attached to the same rigid seat shell it’s beyond me how there can be any movement of the shock or dampening effect. I’d expect one end of the shock to be connected to the seat frame but it isn’t. In the picture, all those red circles are rigidly connected to the same thing: the one piece, steel, seat shell. Once I get it completely reassembled I’ll be able to see exactly how it works.

  9. #9Tinkerer2023-03-28 09:12

    Turn the ride (weight) adjustment from all the way up to all the way down. The spring tension could be to high that the seat cannot move.

  10. #10HarleyHappy2023-03-28 10:07

    Looks perfect to me.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-03-28 18:30

    Or do the honey... but you might be more upset about that.

  12. #12Birdseye2023-03-28 22:09

    I put the seat on and bounced on it and yes the shock does move. I’m sure nobody but me ever doubted that it would. The angle of the swing arm changes as the seat descends and compresses the shock. The magic of geometry !

  13. #13HarleyHappy2023-03-29 09:35

    Much like a softail