Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 sensitive controls

LittleCub580 · 2019-05-08 09:49

Good morning all, I just purchased my first backhoe yesterday (which I'm hoping was a fair deal) it's an older 580 that's no beauty queen but runs strong and no leaks. As I was playing around with it on the farm it felt like my hoe controls were extra sensitive. If I just barely touch the boom stick I can control it without any jerking but if you barely move it out of that "sweet spot" it seems to just want to take off and give you a good shakin. As I was watching videos of other people with similar TLB's they seem to be able to move their controls more than I can without going for a ride. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of these controls or is just a learning curve I have to master? I've operated AG tractors but I'm green to operating a backhoe so I'm still trying to figure this all out. The loader control works silky smooth if that means anything. Thanks for any and all input.

Replies20
  1. #1Billrog2019-05-08 11:00

    Run it at a little lower rpm until to get a feel for the controls.

  2. #2Delmer2019-05-08 13:01

    The shaking is from the slop in the pins and bushings, and partly from the operator action. Is the swing side to side the worst? that's usually because there's less weight in line with the linkage, and all the wear adds up on the swing. On the other functions it will only shake at the end of the stroke when you stop, or each time you slow or start in the middle, there's weight holding it the rest of the time. the loader may have less wear, but even if it's worn out, the geometry is so much longer/wider that you won't get shakes, except the bucket when dumping, and they're made to shake to get the mud out

  3. #3DMiller2019-05-08 14:56

    Should be in the service manual as to adjusting Set Pressure/Volume down so the system is a little LESS responsive. Guys that worked these everyday would set them Tight so they would respond quicker, get it done faster, just harder on machine and newbies.

  4. #4LittleCub5802019-05-08 16:42

    Thanks guys, much appreciated as the learning curve has definitely been a little harder than I thought. Any advice on where to get a copy of the manuals?

  5. #5DMiller2019-05-08 18:15

    Google the model type of your machine 580C, B whatever and Service Manual, amazing how well that works.

  6. #6alrman2019-05-08 18:25

    **TIP - DON'T attempt any adjustments on hydraulic valves! You simply need to practice, practice, practice. Moving more than one control at a time will slow the machine movement down. The pros make it look easy, but there is usually many years of operating involved ......

  7. #7LittleCub5802019-05-08 20:48

    I have a 580B and it only allows me to operate the dipper and bucket at the same time, is this normal or should I be able to move boom/dipper boom/bucket at the same time?

  8. #8LittleCub5802019-05-08 20:50

    Delmer, no the side to side really isn't bad at all (my foot controls stick a little though) the only time it's really bad is when booming in and out. The dipper and bucket don't seem nearly as "touchy" as the boom stick.

  9. #9Delmer2019-05-08 21:56

    I wonder if there's air in the cylinder, or something sticking. How does the rod look on the boom cylinders?

  10. #10LittleCub5802019-05-09 07:25

    Delmer, As far as the rod goes I’m not exactly sure what you’re looking for but there’s no unusual marks, gouges, scratches or anything else I can see that would make me think the rod itself is the culprit. Does this help?

  11. #11Delmer2019-05-09 09:05

    I'm not the one with the problem, and I sure don't know what your backhoe is doing. If the boom is the problem and not the swing, I think my first answer was completely wrong. You could still have air in the cylinder, aren't most of these Case's over center booms where the boom gets coaxed to swing up towards the cab? Your's isn't like that in the pic, so it might be an older model, or you might not have been shown that trick. In any case, I'd try working the boom with the cylinder below horizontal, as in digging a deep enough hole that the air would run out of the end of the cylinder when it's turned upside down.

  12. #12LittleCub5802019-05-09 09:29

    Sorry Delmer, I’m still learning the machine and what to look for. I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were asking/looking for when you asked what the rod looked like. My picture is the one I have and I’ve attached the only picture I currently have of it. I have an old foundation that needs cleaned out so I can try running the boom below horizontal next time I make it over. Thanks for your help and patience.

  13. #13Billrog2019-05-09 11:00

    The main boom cylinder if I remember right has a re-stricter right where the hose connects to the boom cylinder . This looks like a washer with a small hole in it to dampen the the speed of the boom lowering. This can easily be lost or not replaced when a hose has been changed.

  14. #14fpgm042019-05-09 12:35

    LittleCub580, In follow-on to Bilrog’s post, does your machine have the boom lower restrictor installed? Reference Case parts website link below (Item #12) . https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr56444ar489409bi909147-12

  15. #15LittleCub5802019-05-09 15:48

    Thank you Billrog and FPGM for the help, I'll have to look Saturday when I have time to get back over there. If either of you are familiar with the early B series, there was a member who said about operating more than 1 stick at a time can slow the boom or dipper down but when I try using more than 1 stick it'll only operate 1 of them at a time. Do you know if this is a problem that needs fixed or that's just how these were made? I wasn't operating at max RPM's though when I was attempting to do this, could it be there just wasn't enough power?

  16. #16alrman2019-05-09 20:09

    Operator skills 101 Just simply pulling two levers - is not operating..... You need to feather between the two the controls, giving priority to the movement you want to move the most. But...... don't ask me I'm just a repairman

  17. #17LittleCub5802019-05-09 20:55

    So the hoe doesn’t operate like a loader where you can raise and curl at the same time?

  18. #18Coy Lancaster2019-05-10 10:12

    If you have someone in your area that works on or operates a similar machine I'd have them look at it. You will not be able to full stroke the levers for more than one function at a time and expect both functions to work. And like someone else said got on it and practice every chance you get.

  19. #19LittleCub5802019-05-10 10:18

    Thanks Coy. I have a lot of people around that have loaders but very few with TLB’s. I’m planning to stop at the local AG shop and see what it would cost to have one of their mechanics come out and look it over.

  20. #20alrman2019-05-10 19:49

    @LittleCub580 When you pull the boom up into the fully raised position & hold it there on relief pressure - does any other circuit move? Most likely will do so.....it shouldn't. Chances are there is internal leakage happening in the Backhoe control valve - robbing you of oil flow to go where you want it to.