Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 SK Winer Ops

mbavers · 2024-11-10 16:01

OK, stupid question #1000: When I have to plow snow before the ground freezes I can't use my plow truck because it pulls up gravel from my road, so I use my backhoe. With air temperatures below 30°F transaxle fluid takes a long time to heat up, so I am wondering if anyone has used or heard of a synthetic hydraulic fluid substitute. Since the brakes are independently lubed, and my parking brake is non-existent, I believe the only thing the transaxle fluid is lubricating is the gearing. I currently use standard type 303 hydraulic fluid. I'm familiar with Case recommendations, but have been satisfied with 303 for all hydraulics, including brakes, for the past 20 years.

Replies17
  1. #1franklin22024-11-10 16:24

    Not sure if it's something to worry about, but what about something like this heating pad attached to the transaxle on cold days? https://www.amazon.com/Warming-Silicone-Electric-Flexible-102X127mm/dp/B0CTTMWBNS

  2. #2clueless22024-11-10 16:28

    303 hydraulic oil is not what you should be using. Did you know it is usually a 30 weight oil ? That 303 is allowing a lot more wear on your trans-axle than you may realize. Synthetic 5w-30 is available about every where that hydraulic oil is sold. I use synthetic oil and it definitely makes a difference in the winter.

  3. #3mbavers2024-11-10 18:47

    That pad is made for an automobile engine oil pan with a wide, flat, smooth surface. It wouldn't stick to the transaxle. Besides, at a couple of hundred watts at best it would take forever.

  4. #4mbavers2024-11-10 18:56

    I thought 303 is very close to what Case recommends, but without some additive. It was recommended to me many years ago. I think if I had 30 weight oil in there it would be too heavy at low temperatures. As it is, when I raise the rear with the stabilizers I can barely turn a wheel by hand, even in warm weather in neutral gear.

  5. #5clueless22024-11-11 07:26

    It isn't anywhere near the hy-trans that Case recommends for your 580SK. I have known for years that 303 should never be used in any modern equipment. I would expect that your brakes are in bad shape from using an oil that has no friction modifiers that they require. That is probably the reason you can barely turn the wheel that you described. I copied and pasted the information below from a oil mfr's website, in case you think I am full BS. All 303 fluids are a risk. They are often poorly manufactured as the result of low-quality components at inadequate dosing rates which can lead to a host of problems: Insufficient startup protection in cold weather Excessive pump leakage at higher operating temperatures Inability to resist oxidation Tendency for oil thickening and sludge formation Buildup of harmful deposits Any of the above is reason enough to steer clear of ‘303’ but several or even all is putting your equipment and operation at great risk…both of which cost money. Three states issued bans on the sale of ‘303’ fluids: Missouri, Georgia and North Carolina.

  6. #6MG842024-11-11 07:52

    303 is a garbage oil, often quite literally. There was a big class action lawsuit a couple years ago over one of the large mfgs of 303 using used transformer oil, line flush, and any other cheap crap oil they could find and reselling it as 303 hydraulic oil. Even ‘good’ 303 (if that is even a thing) has none of the correct additives for modern wet brake, wet clutch, power shift or power shuttle equipment. Drain your transmission completely and refill with the proper Case IH Hy-tran fluid. Might take a couple times to flush out all that crap thats in there. Yes it is expensive, but in the long run it will save you a lot of money and headaches. Then again, all your linings and seals may be shot from running 303 so what does it matter...

  7. #7S.A.E.2024-11-11 08:38

    Good luck with longer term maintenance for not following very descriptive fluids specifications issued by the people that designed and built your machine.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2024-11-11 13:08

    Why do you seem to always come off as brash? Is there a reason for this? Is another thread going to have to get closed? The OP posted a question, offered what he was using and is looking for opinions, letting him know what a terrible mistake he made, is up for interpretation. Have a good day.

  9. #9S.A.E.2024-11-11 14:11

    So..... let me get this correct. I wouldn't want you, or anyone else to be harmed, injured, or in any way feel slighted. Do YOU think 303 oil use for ANY transaxle is approved or recommended by CASE engineering or maintenance facility? Why, or why not... . XOXO PS... For whom else in this tread are you playing hall monitor?

  10. #10edgephoto2024-11-12 00:13

    This place needs an ignore button.....

  11. #11S.A.E.2024-11-12 01:00

    did you have a contribution? What lube do you recommend?

  12. #12clueless22024-11-12 08:28

    The website designer programmed that feature into HEF. Click on the user name of any member and you will see an ignore button. It is on the bottom of the information pane that will appear. I activated it on two members that made demeaning remarks about women. After activating it you will not see that person's posts ever again.

  13. #13HarleyHappy2024-11-12 09:27

    We shouldn’t need an ignore button, if we could all be adults. I am not playing hall monitor, this is the 2nd thread you have derailed this week? You and Case engineering are in a roll. Good bye.

  14. #14Tinkerer2024-11-12 09:33

    The OP had a simple question in his post.--->"I am wondering if anyone has used or heard of a synthetic hydraulic fluid substitute." No one seems to have given him a direct answer. So, there are different weights and manufacturers of synthetic hydraulic. Prices vary widly amongst the brands. I use synthetic oil in different applications and have had no problems as result of using it. I won't recommend any specific brand. But, I would advise him to choose a synthetic oil that meets or exceeds Case Hy-Trans Ultra specifications.

  15. #15blacky7052024-11-12 09:35

    Lol, I'm going to be buying a backhoe in the near future and will be coming here for information and to learn from you guys. I'm pretty thick skinned guy and read nothing here that would hurt my feelings. Cheers

  16. #16HarleyHappy2024-11-12 09:40

    Ha, I’m on a HD forum that you need level 3 armor for but it’s nice to come here for just good old fashioned knowledge and information, without the drama.

  17. #17SlatcoAu2024-11-13 01:30

    For what its worth, I plowed snow in -30C with my 580SM and ran Hytran in everything and never ever had the issues that you are describing. My backhoe also sits all winter at my minesite until I go there early May and start it up to plow snow with no issues. I think there is merit in what some of the guys have posted about running that fluid in where recommended...