Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Radio question

rumblecloud · 2024-11-10 08:18

Short story: I started to put a radio in the Beast, but the existing antenna lead is too fat/large to fit into the antenna lead from the radio.. Longer story: There is a spot for the radio in the fender well (I guess that's what you call it). I'm pretty sure the hoe was a rental unit which would make it unlikely to be equipped with a radio in the first place? That said, there is a harness and an antenna lead in the cavity. Looking at the parts book, (1.91.6) it appears to have the 2-plug adapter - which is strange because why would anyone bother to get the adapter if there was no radio to begin with - so who cares anyway. One plug gets battery battery power key-off. I have an aftermarket radio that I've managed to get working with some speakers I have laying around. My question is with the antenna lead. It's an older style and it's too large to fit into the lead from the radio. Does anyone have any idea where that lead runs to? There is no antenna mounted anywhere that I can see. I haven't really been up on the top to look for a spot where an antenna may have been at one time. i suppose I can just go to wally world and grab one, but where would you mount it? Seems kinda dumb to put it somewhere where it will get ripped off by a low hanging branch (that would never happen). Sorry for rambling. Any thoughts?

Replies23
  1. #1cosmaar12024-11-10 11:14

    I bought a Jensen (I think) radio cheap off of Amazon last year for my 555e and had no issues putting it in using the factory harness and antenna. Are you double sure it doesn’t fit? It’s a spring type connection that you have to ram it in for it to stay connected.

  2. #2NH575E2024-11-10 11:30

    My original antenna mount was on the top left front of the cab but the lead was damaged so I just stuck a rubber one inside. It works but I never listen to radio broadcasts so not sure why I bothered. I have a thumb drive in the USB port with my MP3 collection on it. If I didn't listen to those I would use the blue tooth connection of my phone to listen to Pandora. I have and ad free subscription to that.

  3. #3rumblecloud2024-11-10 13:00

    That is exactly the set-up I was thinking about. My radio is a JVC from Crutchfield. And you're absolutely right about "Why would I do this!" For me it's mostly for listening to the Lions on Sunday as that's about the only day I get to go out and do manly stuff --- like knock down trees and dig holes for no apparent reason. I'll try that connector again and see what gives. Thanks for humoring me NH.

  4. #4cosmaar12024-11-10 15:07

    For the sake of mentioning….. I’m sure the Lions have an App that has a live feed of the radio…. Just sayin.

  5. #5Swetz2024-11-10 15:29

    This is the setup in my 675E. I would assume it was a dealer installed this setup. Don't judge me on the dust on the head unit.

  6. #6Swetz2024-11-10 15:31

    When I changed the head unit in my dodge pickup, I had to get an antenna adaptor.

  7. #7rumblecloud2024-11-10 15:46

    Party pooper. Audicy is the app for our local sports teams...Wings, pistons, lions, tigers. Most times they blackout our area. So then I hafta search for a station that's out of the area so transmission is choppy . And besides, I need something to do.

  8. #8IceHole2024-11-10 16:01

    One place I worked the uselesses would fight over the couple dump trucks with radios like it was torture to not have music. Me... I rarely turn the radio on even, wouldn't bother me one bit to not have one. Put an ear bud in and listen to a precast if anything, least might learn something.

  9. #9NH575E2024-11-10 17:22

    Yeah the cassette deck would definitely date that unit to being original. I just buy cheap mechless head units but have had a problem with the displays being too dim. On my second one in the 575E and can't see it anywhere outside of the barn.

  10. #10cuttin edge2024-11-10 18:03

    I always listen to the radio when doing boring tasks, like plowing snow. Makes the time go faster. Mostly it's just background noise unless ACDC or Rush comes on, then she's a blastin

  11. #11rumblecloud2024-11-11 08:05

    I know it's kinda dumb for as much as I'm out in it, but I finally have some free time to do something I don HAVE to do. Thanks for all the thoughts. @Swetz I'll have to look for that little rubber ducky thing. It looks like it might last awhile.

  12. #12NH575E2024-11-11 08:54

    Off topic but related to cabin comfort. When I got my machine it had dust covered fibrous crop material an inch thick EVERYWHERE. There was some kind of straw nest built up in the headliner and broken glass all over where they had replaced a window and not cleaned the inside. My main reason for wanting a cab was to have a sealed environment with AC to work in the dusty summers we have. While I was restoring the air conditioner and cleaning it all out I decided having the fresh air duct left open would not be conducive to a clean environment, filtered or not, so I blocked that duct to the outside air off. I packed a piece of dense foam in the hole and used metal duct tape to seal off the outside air. It hasn't been cleaned in 8 years and this is how it looks today. Mostly dirt tracked in from getting in and out. It often has to have the outside windows cleaned so I can see out but the inside has remained fairly free of dust.

  13. #13Swetz2024-11-11 09:00

    My AC doesn't work. There is a leak somewhere. When I am working, all the glass is open in the summer. For the last 2 weeks only the side door glass was open, but man, it is dry and dusty here! It also doesn't help that a hose recently blew, and, yes, the glass was open, so the inside got well oiled, which of course attracts more dust . Hope to get some time to clean it up when I can no longer move dirt for the winter.

  14. #14rumblecloud2024-11-11 09:19

    I don't have air either, but closing off that duct is a good idea. I does get duty in there.

  15. #15NH575E2024-11-11 10:16

    Part of my AC restoration included replacing ALL the hoses. Mine were leaking through the sides so they had deteriorated from the inside out. I had new one's made at the Carquest I get my hydraulic hoses from. I rerouted one to save a few feet and get a more direct route to the expansion valve. I didn't tie it up good enough and got it caught in the driveshaft this year. I ended up just splicing 5 feet into it and of course that has a slight leak but I can live with a can a year. None of my window latches work and most are missing so they are all zip tied closed.

  16. #16cuttin edge2024-11-11 11:25

    We had 4 New Holland backhoes at one time 2 675s an LB110 and an LB95. The 110 and one 675 were sold. The 95 was stolen over a weekend, and the last 675 caught on fire, and has been sitting in the junk pile. All had issues keeping the side windows latched. Many times one window would blow open on the float, and swing back, smashing both windows out. The float man used to zip tie them closed.

  17. #17Welder Dave2024-11-11 20:28

    The AM radio in my dump truck doesn't even turn on anymore but the truck is too loud anyway. It's weird it's AM only in a 94. My 86 grader is AM only too and easy to hear but I'd like to put an AM/FM radio in. The problem is that you can't buy just a plain AM/FM radio. I'd also have to mount 2 speakers. There's only 1 with the current radio.

  18. #18rumblecloud2024-11-20 08:11

    Thought I would post up the finish. It turns out the Beast did have a radio at one time. I got out the ladder and took a look on top and found a stub of an antenna. The power wires and speaker wires were in the well. There were now speakers so I used new speaker wires and new speakers. The power wire was always hot so I added a cut-off switch.

  19. #19NH575E2024-11-20 15:22

    It should have a yellow always hot wire for memory and a red key on hot wire.

  20. #20rumblecloud2024-11-20 16:02

    I'll have to pop the radio back up outta the slot. I know the radio has a yellow which I tied with the red from the radio to a red/black striped wire from the hoe. I don't recall seeing a yellow wire from the hoe, but I'm not that smart so I'll go look again. I can always look in the service manual for the wiring diagram -- geez, now there's an idea

  21. #21cosmaar12024-11-20 18:42

    As long as you wired the colors together it should be good. When I did mine earlier this year I had no issues with wires at all.

  22. #22NH575E2024-11-20 20:19

    I was referring to standard radio wiring. I can't make heads or tails out of the cab wiring. At any rate if you want the radio to retain station and mode presets the yellow wire will need to remain hot all the time and the red would typically be switched. You might just have to verify those conditions with a test light or volt meter to connect the radio as it's supposed to be. My machine use to have a problem with the hot all the time failing intermittently and I finally had to run new wires from the panel.

  23. #23Swetz2024-11-21 08:00

    Mine is wired with power all the time, and a switch to turn it off. I honestly don't use it so it is always off. Thanks for the update!