Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 SL hard to shift into 1st gear

Not You ยท 2014-09-20 17:11

1999 580 SL Series 2 with shifter on the dash. Gears 2-4 are pretty easy, but 1st is almost impossible. It takes a lot of wiggling to get it into gear. What should I look for? I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, so please be specific. Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #169zfarmer2014-09-21 09:15

    I have had 2 580SL's one was series1 other I currently have is a series2.Both of these are hard to shift just like yours.They are so hard to get in gear that I am afraid I am going to break something.Does your series 2 transmission whine bad when backing up at high speed?

  2. #2Not You2014-09-21 09:31

    Yes, I noticed it while backing up in 3rd gear that it whines. I would think there's something with the linkage that could be lubricated or adjusted?? Seems like most of the time I only have a lot of trouble getting it into 1st, the other gears seem ok.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-09-22 00:00

    Pull the shifter lever out of the pivot housing. There is a big spring in there that can rust away and the pieces get all bound up in the pivot.