Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C consistent knocking when roading

fordtrucknut ยท 2014-09-20 14:50

like the title says, when I try to road the tractor in the upper gears there is a consistent knocking sound, it is defiantly coming from the rear end. things I know are wrong, 1:Brakes, worn so much the wheel will lock on one if you press it, and have to switch directions to unlock it.(i've found a complete kit just waiting to order them) 2: the diff lock on the floor is disconnected, the diff it's self is NOT locked though.(found that out by driving into a pile of gravel and pushing. and only one wheel would break loose) wondering if anyone has run across this problem before, so I have some sort of Idea before I tear into it. thanks in advance.

Replies3
  1. #1Operator41002014-09-20 21:24

    Hey fordtrucknut, yep those brakes suck on those machines but good all around backhoe loader, we've had one since around 1985, have you ever been into the rear end? the right side seal can and will develop a leak and that really screws up your brake on that side, when you pull it down for brake repair might be a good idea to check your carrier bearings, they are just inside where your brakes are, also noise might be outer axle bearings not saying you would but those get neglected theirs a grease fitting on either side, keep us posted, DW

  2. #2fordtrucknut2014-09-21 00:13

    operator, thanks for the tips. no I have not been into the rear yet, just picked it up back in july, I've only put about 8 hours on it so far, thats funny you mention the seal on the right side, thats the side i'm having problems with, also the first i've read about a seal going bad, just read that the plates with the 4 bearings can wear out and cause the locking, i'll pull the axles when I get around to doing the brakes later this fall, its not really a concern at the moment, when I do road it it is about a mile total. just trying to get an idea so I can tear it down all at once and fix the brakes, and find out and fix the knocking noise. also I'm usually up on maintenance, I greased it once when I first got it, and thats the last time. I do check the oils before operating. it is living the easy life nowadays and is not worked hard at all. yet.... the ole lady is trying to convince me to get a trailer so I can do side jobs with it, that and half her family wants me to do some digging but live 15-20 miles out, and will not road it that far....

  3. #3alrman2014-09-22 19:16

    Consistent knocking usually indicates a missing tooth somewhere. Drain the transaxle oil & if nothing shows itself in the oil drain, remove the rear cover & have a feel around....