Need help to replace broken spring in suspension seat on 580 SL series 2. looks impossible. thanks
Yes, as with the early explorers in the upper Amazon, few lived to talk about it. Seriously, I am in the middle of one now, just take lots of pics or make drawings so you can get it back together. The factory pics are not too good
I've pulled apart 2 seats over the years and repaired them very challenging but it can be done ( carefully ). Heavy and award.
I have done quite a a lot with those seats over the years. It seems like you need six hands and several wedge blocks at times. Did a KAB seat in a wheel loader two months ago, shock and weight adjuster screw, was happy our service truck has a crane on it to get it to the ground. Like said, take pics it helps when doing those repairs after they have been apart waiting on parts.
Seats are definitely do-able but a little time consuming, it took me almost as long to remove it from the cab due to other issues than to repair the seat. On mine, it was not the spring that broke but the plastic arm that holds the springs for adjustment. I fabricated a replacement arm out of steel barstock and used standard all-thread rod for the adjusting screw as the thread style on for the plastic is odd and I did not have a matching tap. I had to use a squeeze clamp in reverse and some electrical wire to pull the springs in order to get them hooked. I took pictures like others have said. About the only thing I had to purchase was some replacement fir tree plugs that hold the plastic cover on from the local auto store as my original ones were brittle upon removal. If you are having a specific problem, post some pictures and generally someone on the forum will have a solution.
I just did my seat it is a pain in the neck between getting it apart and trying to pull the springs to the bracket I have no idea how they did it when it as new it is the stupidest design I have ever seen
got mine back together me and my buddy, it is frustrating for sure, but it works great now, the plastic part where the springs hook was broken in two , I put a hose clamp around it and epoxied it, then made a metal part to go across the top for the springs to hook to, strong enough now, also the cable release for the seat swivel was broken, going to weld a lever on that, It was caked with dirt and crud, put the lower pin in on reassembly, it worked for me. all the best God Bless
I got a case 580b the seat spring was gone and not sure if its the corrsct seat on it. But what i did waz fabricate a nea base using an office chair with the hydralic lift .