Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 SM Battery question

Delray83 ยท 2022-01-28 12:28

I have very weak, dual battery setup. The previous owner replaced the group size 31 batteries, with 2 standard auto batteries which are in bad shape. I should have taken some photos while I was at my lot a few weeks ago, but now that I am purchasing two batteries online for pickup at NAPA, I don't recall if the battery terminal posts were threaded or standard pole? I wondered if anyone recalls the configuration? Also any other advice when removing and replacing batteries. Thanks!

Replies1
  1. #1gggraham2022-01-28 12:50

    Series 1 and 2 used two 28S series batteries with the threaded posts. Series 3 used 2 group 49 battery with regular terminals with adapters to threaded post.. If you have the dual 28S batteries remove ground strap from the frame of the machine, clean it up good and reinstall. They always corroded or rusted up. Make sure all your battery cable ends are clean.