Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 SM II Popping into Neutral

Delray83 ยท 2023-04-22 11:13

Hello, My backhoe won't shift into F or R unless I physically push the stick forward or back and hold it in place with a bit of force. I searched to see if this issue were previously addressed. I see things with Google search like something might be the shift assembly itself, low Transmission oil or transmission failure. The fact it engages and works fine when pushed into F/R position makes me thing the transmission is not the issue. I checked the fluid level for the transmission and it is super high up the stick- but that is probably because it had been working a few hours. I will go back and let it cool down, though I am guessing the levels are fine (and I have had it over a year without this issue). The hydraulic fluid is very low. I am going to go pick some up, but can't imagine that would have anything to do with the transmission?

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2023-04-23 00:21

    To be able to help, we really need to know if this machine is Shuttleshift or Powershift???

  2. #2Delray832023-04-23 00:43

    Thanks Alrman, I assume power shift? You can change the gears by rotating the knob on the end.

  3. #3alrman2023-04-23 01:20

    It could be that the FNR lever/switch has dirty contacts. Sometimes, the grease inside the lever becomes contaminated with small metal particles & causes some type of short circuit. You may be able to open the FNR control lever & clean it & then applying a small amount of fresh di-electric grease. Seems strange that FWD & REV are both affected. When you simply engage FWD (& it does not drive) what is the transmission module screen showing? Does it read "F"? Does the "T" light flash? & what does the module screen do/show when you hold the lever to allow drive?

  4. #4Delray832023-04-23 02:16

    It won't go into FWD unless I push the lever pretty hard and hold into place -and yes the display module does change to F, or R if pushed and held into reverse. It just will not stay in either position without forcing it. I think what you said about short circuit due to grime and dirt makes sense.

  5. #5Delray832023-04-24 10:30

    I will get a photo of the screen next time I am at the site. The same abbreviation as before the stick failure as I recall (as long as I push and hold it in place) The local repair shop said it was $450 just to have someone come out and look, so I went ahead and ordered a new powershift combination switch on eBay, because they seem out of stock or delayed everywhere else. Aftermarket, but that is all I could find. The horn button on the end had collapsed into the unit. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem, but figured I need a new joystick regardless. Here is what I purchased: Combination Switch 231520A2 84342285 for Case 580N 580SL 580SM 590SL 590SM 590SN 194229857894 | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Combination Switch 231520A2 84342285 for Case 580N 580SL 580SM 590SL 590SM 590SN at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products! www.ebay.com

  6. #6alrman2023-04-24 16:55

    Fingers are crossed for you! As they get older, these powershift machines often create alot of tail chasing to sort drive issues.

  7. #7alrman2023-04-25 16:58

    Also, I thought I should mention that the button on the end of the lever, is not a horn button, it is a kickdown button. When pressed, the transmission will drop a gear to increase pushing power.

  8. #8Asa Joel Spicer2023-11-01 14:50

    Curious what your fix ended up being?