Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b hydraulic filter change.

talltexan6ft7 ยท 2023-04-22 10:47

Hi all, before completing the repacking of the loader cylinders, I replaced the hydraulic filter. In taking the old filter out, I noticed the "hole" in the filter was facing down, so I put the new filter in the same way! I just dropped the new filter in, poured in some hydraulic fluid and screwed the housing back onto the filter head. After completing the packing job, I poured in about 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid until it ran out of the lower hole below the fill hole. Loader worked and responded well, but I got to worrying about the hydraulic filter I replaced. I am new to all of this (as you can tell ) and I read somewhere on this site that the filter should be attached to the filter head before screwing the housing on! I hope I don't have to take the filter housing off again, then it would be a mess! Hopefully some of you can give me some insight on this. Thanks and take care...

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-04-22 16:16

    From the Operators Manual.

  2. #2talltexan6ft72023-04-23 08:52

    Thanks! Although the head on mine is on the top, the principle is the same and I thank you for the diagram. Take care...

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-04-23 09:45

    If you read the image closer, it says the head is on top, in later production machines.

  4. #4talltexan6ft72023-04-23 09:51

    Hi, yes I saw that. Thanks!