Hey all, I just took delivery of my backhoe and the seat is kind of grungy, so I'm considering fixing that. It's a Case 580SM Series II with the SEARS mechanical suspension seat. It looks like I could just take the seat and backrest off (with the metal trays) and take them to a local upholstery place to be recovered, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of a company selling replacements? That would save me hassle of trying to get to the upholstery place during the work week, and not leave me without the machine while I'm waiting on them to be done. The Case parts manual seems to show the seat and the back are available, but you have to buy the entire tray/cushion/cover which is going to cost quite a bit more ($500 or so). Any other options anybody knows about? Thanks!
I would say an upholstery place would be your best bet if you're not looking to spend an arm and a leg on new parts from the dealership. An upholstery shop will give you some freedom of design as well if you choose to get fancy with it.
Yeah, that's sort of what I figured. It looks like $400 to buy the OEM seat/back cushions, so it's not terrible, but I suspect a local shop can make them look similar for half of that...we'll see.
Yeah I imagined about at least that much. Pull the cushions if you can and take em to 2-3 different upholstery shops and see what they can do. I imagine it'd be around $300 max considering materials and labor, possibly a bit more if their only option is a manufactured replacement cover (i.e. Katzkins leather replacement). If you want to save alot of money and you're feeling frisky, you can always buy the material and reupholster the seat yourself. Lots of write-ups on line on how to do it on automotive seats and door panels.