Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 steering issue . Could bent center rod an issue?

ocelot61 ยท 2012-10-19 11:43

I have a case 580 C backhoe with steering issue. The center rod between the wheels is bent and I am wondering if it could affect steering. That said, I did blow a steering line and lost all fluid a month back. I refilled pump after repairs and then had very weak steering for a while, but this had been the case off and on prior to hose breakage. In the past, if I got lucky, it would suddenly work 100%. But it has been weeks now and still is not working too great. Sometimes it works 100%, but most of the time it works only slightly. By this I mean If I raise wheels using the bucket, they turn fine. I can steer if no load in the bucket but only by constantly keeping pressure on the steering wheel to keep wheels from straightening out while driving. Any ideas on that steering rod being partially to blame? Is it a bleeding issue? Thanks for any help.

Replies7
  1. #1RHINOS TRANNYS2012-10-19 22:41

    Could have one of the steering cylinders bad, or maybe the carrier bearing on the king pins are shot and binding the pivit action. I would striaghten the tie rod and then adjust the toe-in.:usa

  2. #2ocelot612012-10-20 07:22

    Intermitant stering Thanks for the reply. After I posted the question about the tie rod possibly being an issue I started leaning more toward the pump or the cylinders seeing as the steering works fine when it does work....but usually will not work the next time I start it up.. or it will start working properly suddenly when I am using it. If it is indeed the check valve, is there a way to test the check valve? Or free it up without taking the pump off? I will straighten the tie rod anyway. Cant hurt. Thanks again for the help. My arms are getting tired muscling this thing around the job site.

  3. #3GWS2012-10-20 11:39

    Sounds more like the relief valve in the pump is sticking or the spring is weak. The pump is easy to take off and a hydraulic shop an test the pressure and relief. What oil are you using? I use 303 tractor oil in my C and it has worked great. When you straighten the steering rod, make sure the tie rod ends are set correctly. You can bend a steering cylinder rod when they hit the stop if they are not at least close. The service manual shows how to set the length of the tie rod ends.

  4. #4ocelot612012-10-20 11:58

    Thanks GWS...I will start digging into it today. As far as oil.. ya know.. I just got the machine but I think the guy who I bought it from was using regular Automotive power steering fluid because there was a leak and a did see 3 quarts in the cab. I replaced with Case recommended fluid. Think the Automotive stuff messed anything up?

  5. #5GWS2012-10-20 14:10

    I doubt it would have caused any problems other than being thinner than the recommended oil. Could have loosened up the relief valve or maybe just too thin for it to hold properly. Hard to say for sure. When I picked my C up it had ATF in the steering and shuttle. Changed out the fluids in both and it has been working great ever since. I think some people prefer to switch to ATF in the steering and shuttle. I've been told it can loosen up stuck plungers and such but don't know if that is a truth or a myth. I had to replace one steering cylinder and rebuild the other one. Also had the same problem with the bent steering rod and I just straightened it on a shop press.

  6. #6shopguy2012-10-20 14:28

    Are the wheels always in the same position when it stops steering ?If so could be a bent cylinder from?? whatever bent the tie rod

  7. #7sheepfoot2012-10-20 17:45

    I would straighten the tie rod and while doing this adjust the wheel bearings, air the tire's to around 50 psi. Then check the king pins along with the bearing and flush out the grease in both upper and lower grease fittings. The pump can be checked on the machine by installing a test hose and gauge on the top line from the pump (some have a pipe plug to install a gauge drilled into this fitting) or you can tee in at the steering cylinders. The steering cylinders can be checked with a air hose by unhooking your lines to the cylinder, useing low air pressure 25 lbs slowly add air to one port, if the piston is bad you will have flow from the other port ( wheels secured not to move ) you also have to due the rod end port (this will tell if the nut on the piston is loose). The pump pressure is around 1850-2200 psi and if low scribe the housing and pump before removeing the shell, change you filter inside and re test before makeing adjustments to your relief. Due you have a front counter weight, or extendahoe one this machine ?