I have a Case 1986 580 Super D backhoe. Engine and hydraulics have been running like a champ for over eight years. Recently I put it in gear, it bumped forward slightly but would not move. I left it running for a while using the backhoe and tried it again. To my surprise it moved forward with no problems. This process has repeated itself several times now. It seems to need to "warm up" ?? Things I've done: I checked the transmission fluid, clear, full and with no burnt smell. - Have not replace the transmission fluid. Tried starting in others gears, 2nd/3rd.... same result. Reverse seems to be working with reduced power. It moves first try. When it does get moving it's under powered, both reverse and forward. I think I know the answer to this... trany rebuild ;-( Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Geoff
I don't have any Case experience but I believe you have a Borg Warner reverser. The reverser is mounted between the motor and the transmission. You should be looking there for your problems. The oil could be bad and/or the internal pickup screen could be pluged up. Hope this is of help but you will probably get responces from Case guys to.
I beleave it is the belleville spring that is broken and is lodged against the piston to the forward clutches. I have seen this and will even get so tight that if you put it in reverse the machine will not move or even stall the motor. Yes the only fix is rebuild the shuttle. If you didn't live 2000 mile away I would gladly rebuild it for you in my shop.