Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super E Brakes

justinlm · 2025-05-26 18:28

New to this Backhoe it had been sitting for a few years. The Brakes aren't working, they should be dry but were full of gear oil when I took of brake cover, I was able to remove brakes out and loosen the actual housing but I cannot remove the housing because it hits the frame and won't come off the shaft. Do I have to drop the Transaxle to remove them and replace the oil seal? Or can I change the seal with it on the machine. Also, where can I buy a good service manual, I'm sure I'll need it.

Replies9
  1. #11978case2025-05-28 09:26

    You can replace the seal with the housing bolted back on the machine. It helps if you have the tool that covers the splines. I have used shin stock wrapped around the splines in a pinch. I would look on Ebay for a service manual.

  2. #2justinlm2025-05-28 13:15

    Thats good to know Thank you. I'll get a service manual before I continue.

  3. #3Tinkerer2025-05-28 21:34

    Send me your email address in a private conversation and I will let you download it from my Google Drive. Totally free of course.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-05-29 09:21

    Tinkerer, is that for the newer E, as I bought a manual off of Amazon and it’s for the early E and doesn’t have parts or breakdown on the newer 3 bolt spindles. I would love to see a parts and breakdown of the machine. Tanks.

  5. #5Tinkerer2025-05-29 10:07

    I prolly have the same one you have. Publication #8-41701. There is no mention of the machine serial # in it. I think the SE's were produced from 1984 until about 2005. that would indicate that there is a lot of different service manuals for them--I would guess. Perhaps a Case dealer or someone else could help you find the correct manual you need. I have a parts book that was revised and printed in 1985. Which spindle are you referring to ? 2 wheel drive ?

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-05-29 10:41

    Sorry, that was a brain fart. I meant kingpin, I have the newer 3 bolt kingpin on a 4 wheel drive. My outer u-joint is bad and I would love to have a parts breakdown before taking apart as I have no ideas on part numbers, if I need the hub seals and anything else.

  7. #7Tinkerer2025-05-29 15:54

    A phone call to someone at Broken Tractor may be worth a try for information. They offer quite a few parts for Case Backhoe Front Axles (3-Bolt Style). I think a long time ago there was a thread about repairing one like you have and alarman had the answers.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-05-30 07:00

    Yep, I figured when I get ready to do it, I will have to take the whole thing apart and see what I need and at least then I will have the stuff in hand, to be able to compare measurements and such.

  9. #9woodbutcher1412025-10-05 22:03

    Does anyone have manuals for 580 SE backhoe? I am needing to repair the brake system on mine