Hey Guys, Foss here. I'm a newbie here and have an issue with our backhoe that has me scratching my head and butt at the same time! While using the machine a few days ago, I shut it off and, when I restarted it, moved the shuttle lever to back up. As soon as I moved the lever, the machine shut off like I had turned the switch off. I put the lever back in the neutral position and fired it back up but when I engaged reverse again, it immediately shut off again. I then found that it does the same thing when trying to go forward. I have done some checking and when the lever is moved from the neutral position the "neutral starting switch" (located on the side of the shuttle) cuts the power. I understand this, but I don't know why it is cutting the power to the fuel shut-off, along with the ignition/starter switch. Has anyone here ever had this problem? I'm a decent "wrench" EXCEPT when it comes the electrics! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Foss
Is the engine lugging down like the tranny is in two gears or does it just shut off like you turn the key off? If it shuts off like you turn the key off then check your solenoid on the engine block and make sure your are loosing voltage at your shutoff solenoid. Try putting the 4 speed in neutral and then put shuttle in gear.
Yes, it completely shuts off, like you turned the key off. I checked the fuel shut-off solenoid and the power to it stops when you put the shuttle in forward or reverse. This is crazy. If I had done some work that might have involved getting a wire back in the wrong place I might understand it. But we were using the machine, turned it off, and this started the next time we fired it up. Starts and runs fine but shuts down as soon as you move the shuttle lever out of the neutral position.? We have been using the machine, since all this started, by running a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the fuel shut-off.
If its a 1 wire solenoid, that's fine.. BUT.. if its a 3 wire sol. plan on buying another..
It's a 1 wire.
I have racked my brain with this backhoe! Is there anywhere I can find a wiring diagram for a 580 super e that actuall shows the individual wires, instead of showing the disappearing into a loom? I have crawled around under this thing and checked in the engine comprtment and behind the dash, thinking I would find a loose wire or something that could cause this problem. But NOTHING!The puzzling thing, as I said earlier, is that it cranked and ran to where I used it, then I shut it off, and a few minutes later, I fired it up to move and the problem started. Any more ideas? Thanks for any help. Steve
You won't find a schematic diagram that shows wires that are not in the loom. The wires are numbered and color coded at each end in the schematic. If you do have the schematic look for # 41 You could try and run a new wire directly from the ignition switch to the fuel shut-off.