Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rain in the exhaust pipe?

aighead · 2019-07-08 10:51

Hi Everyone... Got a new guy question. How bad is it if rain is getting down the exhaust pipe? I've ran my backhoe a bunch in between heavy rains that I'm sure have caused water down the exhaust pipe and everything seems to run ok, but am I causing problems by not having a cover? Is there somewhere I should be draining the water out of? I don't know the layout of the engine well enough to know where the pipe goes, so maybe it's not a problem and maybe it's a huge problem? Thanks for any advice!

Replies39
  1. #1BigWrench552019-07-08 10:58

    Put a rain flap on it . If you get enough rain coming down the exhaust you can hydraulically lock the engine. And if that happens and you manage to get it to turn over and run. You will risk bending a rod.

  2. #2hosspuller2019-07-08 12:43

    I hate those rain flaps. Mine rattled terrible. Change the weight so it would be full open, might not close. Tighten the pivot to not rattle, won't close. Finally, Took it off and went to a straight pipe with a "special rain shield" instead. Bean can fit perfectly, even painted it yellow. Forget it at start up, it blows up and falls into hood, to remind self. It's second nature to put the can on at shut-down.

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-07-08 14:04

    What machine? It depends on how the exhaust goes into the muffler and then into the engine. If the machine is set up as original it's probably fine. On my Cat track loader the exhaust stack doesn't attach to the muffler but the muffler has a drain hole if any water should get in it. I put a flap on the exhaust stack just for an extra measure of safety in case the drain hole plugged.

  4. #4kshansen2019-07-08 14:12

    And if you are "lucky" the engine will start and maybe smoke just a little on the one cylinder and after working it some you will find out real fast which cylinder had the water in it. How? you ask. Simple that will be the one with the rod hanging out the side of the block! Either live with the rattle from a flap, put a elbow on the stack and park it pointing down wind, or find a tin can that fits and don't forget to put it on every time you park machine!

  5. #5Lawrence M Paige2019-07-08 14:36

    I made one from 4" drain pipe and a rubber cap. I get pretty high winds where Im at. This stays put.

  6. #6Tinkerer2019-07-08 14:51

    Sooo, what kind of "machine" do you have aighead ? You haven't described it on HEF that I have seen.

  7. #7aighead2019-07-08 15:07

    Thanks guys! The machine is a New Holland LB75B. I didn't think of it until just yesterday when the sky was dark and I glanced over to see the opening pointing in just the direction the rain would come from... Assuming there IS water in there, is there anything I can do to remove it, short of disassembling the whole engine? Can I leave it to dry for a while? A tin can is a great idea, thanks! Also, Ha, @Tinkerer you replied to my intro post ! I had to go look to be sure I actually created one.

  8. #8BigWrench552019-07-08 16:58

    If you were to get water in the cylinder you can pull your injectors or glow plugs and turn the engine over until the water is gone.

  9. #9Welder Dave2019-07-08 17:00

    If it's original it looks like it has a curve like an elbow on the exhaust pipe and a horizontal muffler. If you're worried about sideways rain getting in, it would have to be a lot of rain over a lot of days or month's without running it to make it to the engine. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/141023/item/I6036

  10. #10aighead2019-07-09 08:17

    Yes, other than I think my exhaust is on the opposite side of center to the one you linked to... Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

  11. #11Tinkerer2019-07-09 10:28

    I forgot about that.

  12. #12old-iron-habit2019-07-09 15:49

    Believe me, it happens. It happened to me this winter with a 4-53.

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-07-09 16:48

    So what's the remedy, cut the pipe straight and install a rain cap? If it's that windy could lift the rain cap too. There's even discussions that hauling a machine down the road with the exhaust facing forward will cause a turbo to spin and be ruined. My skid steer came with a really stupid exhaust set up. Straight pipe up from the manifold and a Supertrapp silencer but not stainless steel like the ones you normally buy. It rusted out in stages. Another guy was renting it from me do to do some snow removal jobs I couldn't do at the time. I went over to pick it up and noticed it had no muffler what so ever and was just straight down to the manifold. I asked him about it and he said it had just fell apart so he took it off. Luckily I went over before it had snowed anymore and got water in the engine. The guy was too stupid to realize it can't be left open like that. I ended up putting an automotive silencer on it that wasn't a straight through design and a rain cap on top of that. It mostly runs full throttle so doesn't rattle. I think manufacturers need to think more about rain getting in through the exhaust. Cat seems to.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2019-07-09 18:20

    I use rain caps and still throw on a oblong laundry soap jug with the top cut to a snug fit size when the machine is going to be left unused for a while or if a storm is expected.

  15. #15Former Wrench2019-07-09 18:40

    5 gal bucket and bungy cord.

  16. #16DMiller2019-07-09 19:54

    Nothing wrong with a little instant gratification simplistic stick a soup can on it. I use metal coffee, or any other material cans for larger stacks, capped pvc slip over would work fine as well.

  17. #17hosspuller2019-07-09 20:23

    Here's my "Soup'r Dooper Special Deere Rain Cap" Progresso soup can fits a 3 inch stack perfectly. Wind doesn't blow it off. Although engine start does.

  18. #18DMiller2019-07-10 18:02

    Gotta do whatcha gotta do!!

  19. #19aighead2019-08-07 16:31

    Oh yeah, an update! I'm using a half gallon milk jug. We don't eat much soup in the house, but I'll have to get a can. Only problem with the milk jug is when the engine is hot and I forget to go back out and put it back on.

  20. #20kshansen2019-08-08 09:35

    Well considering the damage that could be done to the engine if water was to get down into a cylinder buying a can of soup or what ever comes in the right size can would seem to be a good investment! Or just hang around the grocery store isle that has the right size cans and next person who picks one up ask if they will save an empty can or two for you! Might pay to print out a copy of this thread to use as evidence when the police show up!

  21. #21riggerjack2019-08-09 16:20

    hmm. I had never considered this. Thanks for the heads up!

  22. #22hosspuller2019-08-10 13:28

    The key is the "RIGHT SIZED" too big allows the wind to get under and lift it off. My Progresso soup can is a loose slip fit.

  23. #23kshansen2019-08-10 19:30

    That's why you need to measure the exhaust stack and take tape measure to the grocery store. I can just imagine the looks one would get walking around the caned goods section measuring cans!

  24. #24Welder Dave2019-08-10 20:53

    I'm looking for a 3-7/8" can of soup. Young kid in the store gets on the intercom, "Help needed with 3-7/8 soup" or says nothing in a soup but we have a 3-7/8 tomato paste.

  25. #25Ronsii2019-08-10 21:25

    you can't find a piece of 4 inch (ID is just under 4 inch) pvc pipe with a nice rounded cap solvent welded to the end.... way better than a can that rusts out in a few seasons and then lets water in the pipe....

  26. #26DMiller2019-08-11 14:10

    Friend of mine got tired of the 'Cheap Look' tin cans, took a piece of 3.5" Schedule 40 304SS end capped it and put a handle on it, five days later decided to use his TLB, just jumped on it and fired it up grabbed some throttle when the MISSILE launched, "saw it leave" then sat still for a moment awaiting re-entry, he stated the new W/S for his pickup hurt A LOT but he is NOT calling his insurance company, MAY have to have local guy dolly out the w/s support edge of the cab eventually. Need to make it second nature to REMOVE before starts if add one with any bulk to it!!

  27. #27hosspuller2019-08-11 14:22

    WD … Don't want you locked up as a crazy … so looked in the pantry. I think the Dinty Moore Beef Stew cans are even larger in Diameter.

  28. #28hosspuller2019-08-11 14:35

    As I said earlier, when I forget, the soup can lands on the TLB's hood. A bit of rattle can paint lasts a long time against rust. Cheap too ! If one wanted to "engineer" the can... a series of holes starting at the open end would relieve gas pressure and slow the can launch.

  29. #29hosspuller2019-08-11 17:06

    Notice the tomato can is equal to the Chef Boy-r-Dee can. Thanks to the internet, here's a chart of standard can sizes. Seems to be the outside dimension but you smart guys will figure what fits your machine. I wonder what engine would use a #10 can on its stack. (6 inch diameter) https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/articles/detail/can-sizes-and-equivalents

  30. #30kshansen2019-08-11 17:52

    Maybe the Idea would be to attach a key to the exhaust cover so you need to remove cover and use the key to open the door of the machine!

  31. #31DMiller2019-08-11 20:05

    Mine have no Cabs!!!

  32. #32old-iron-habit2019-08-11 22:00

    My DW-21 has a 6" steel cap welded up from 1/8 inch steel. It stays on in the wind and the way the old girl smokes black when you turn it over reminds one to remove it. I will take a picture of it when I get near it and remember.

  33. #33Welder Dave2019-08-12 01:00

    3-7/8" was just a random number. LoL

  34. #34DMiller2019-08-12 09:34

    Can remember the days we would allow a stack to cool then set a trash bag with duct tape for towing or to haul machines with turbos JUST IN CASE 1)rain and 2) a set of valves were open allowing the turbo to roll dry. Got more inventive over the years used coffee cans of all sizes plastic and tin even peanut cans of cardboard, one hole nail busted thru a side so could set one with a bungee and head on down the road. Rain Rattles would get a bungee tie down on those that had them.

  35. #35aighead2019-08-13 15:35

    This thread has turned pretty funny! Thanks for all the suggestions, gang!

  36. #36aighead2022-07-26 14:43

    Going back like a big weirdo and reading my past threads... Update! I went with a metal coffee can that could withstand the heat. I drilled a hole in the opening of it and tied a brick to it to hold it down in the weather. Double update! I park it in the barn now and don't put anything on it. This is the best option!

  37. #37hosspuller2022-07-26 20:17

    My original pic post # 18 was on Jul 9, 2019 ... Today is July 26, 2022 ... Three years later the same soup can is still on duty guarding the innards' from the rain.

  38. #38Willie B2022-07-26 21:12

    I forget to cover the stack sometimes. Most have a turn at top to limit vertical rain, then a drip loop in the exhaust to trap rain water before it reaches the engine. It'd take a lot of rain to reach the engine, but diesel exhaust is pretty acidic. It'll pool in your muffler & rust it out. I'm not telling how I know that.

  39. #39Willie B2022-07-28 07:48

    Mine live indoors as much as possible, except the dump truck is too tall for any doors I have. It has a rain flapper & stainless exhaust with drip trap. I am notorious for forgetting to remove the tin can over the stack. A can airborne from starting WILL damage something. Sometimes my bony head. I prefer a cut off plastic bottle, or plastic can. Not as heavy when it comes down.