Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super E Shuttle Shift rebuild question

KevinTT · 2025-10-14 22:54

Good day, we are currently rebuilding the Shuttle shift on my 580 Super E backhoe. While assembling the forward clutch, we are having issues seating the piston & cylinder with the Belleville spring into the ring gear. Does anyone have experience with rebuilding these and have any tips? We know that we must keep the spring centered while pressing the cylinder in, but it still doesn't settle enough to put the snap ring in. Can someone confirm, is the spring supposed to sit on the spacer snap ring between the cylinder/spring and the clutch plates, or is there something wrong there? Also, does it require a lot of pressure to seat the cylinder? All the information I find shows that the cylinder should seat itself far enough you can remove it from the press to place the snap ring, but we can't seem to get it to seat without getting pressure that pushes it back up? Any tips or guidance would be appreciated!

Replies5
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-10-15 12:44

    Here is a great video on the 580 E shuttle and I watched it a few times when I did mine. I don’t remember having to press that in at all. I believe I just used a block of wood or a piece of brass and just hammered it in. There are different sizes of snap rings. Is it possible you have the thick one on the bottom, not allowing enough room for the top one?

  2. #2KevinTT2025-10-15 21:48

    Thank you Harley Yes, I found this video as well and have found it very helpful so far. We confirmed the snap ring thickness with the calipers and per shop manual we have the correct one. Thank you for the suggestion.

  3. #3alrman2025-10-16 23:47

    Welcome to HEF @KevinTT You haven't said if you have sorted this problem. If you have, that's great - maybe this will help others in the future. Snap ring #21 should not be fitted until the FWD pack is assembled - then the appropriate snap ring which gives you clearance of .011"-.046" is installed - I aim for .025"

  4. #4NestorDonnelly2025-10-17 04:30

    Thank you so much!!!

  5. #5KevinTT2025-10-17 11:05

    Thank you! Yeah, we had this and we got it working. We still don't know exactly what went wrong the first time, but we removed the piston & cylinder, belville spring, and snap rings, rechecked everything and reassembled and then it worked late last night so *confused shrug*. Luckily it's going well now. Thank you for your suggestion.