I'm trying to get the end out of this ram, but it doesn't look like all the rest where you just unscrew the end with those little pin holes on a spanner wrench, how do I get this one apart? I thought I heard there was a circlip, but I don't see one of the normal kind.
I believe it has headless circlips ( have to dig them out with a screwdriver or pick) I'll check tonight I have some disassembled at home. I remember it was a pain figuring it out on the first one.
You need to remove the outer clip, then push the gland into the cylinder 3/8-1\2" remove the inner clip then the gland can be pulled out with the rod and piston.
That just takes some kind of tiny screwdriver or scribe, or does it take a ton of force to get the clips off?
Just a screwdriver or pick, it looks like a slinky. Wraps around a few times.
Okay, I got this far, is the inner clip the same kind at the outside one I took off where I just have to peel up the end with a tiny screwdriver?
Push the gland into the cylinder then remove the ring in similar fashion as the outer.
Wait till you try to get the seal in place on those little cylinders. I ruined the first one, and had to buy another kit. I was working in cold weather, and found if I put a cup of water in the microwave and warmed it up, and then sit the seal in the warm water for a bit, it made it more flexible and I was able to finally get it in without damaging it. I think the factory installed that seal before they pressed that bushing in place behind it.
Case recomends putting them in boiling water before trying to install.
Okay, I got the little clip out, but the ram doesn't want to slide out, even with tapping on the tie rod end with a hammer, does something unscrew, or do I just need more force to pound it out? Edit: I gave it a few more whacks and it popped out, so here it is. I'm wondering if the scratches on the ram are a problem, like would they catch on the new seal and tear it out?
Also, is there an aftermarket option for the seal kit and tierod end, they only made millions of these 580 rigs.
Clean up the scratches in the aluminum with a file. I got my kit from hwpartstore.
I got my kit off ebay, where I get all the seal kits. And they also sell the whole complete cylinder if you want to spend a little money on it.
If you are looking to use thousands of hours before the next time you pull it out, then you need a new rod as it will slowly eat the seal on the packing. If it is a low use machine then as Hoe Hoe Hoe said clean it up and reassemble. Simon C
I see an aftermarket entire cylinder with the ends for $90 on eBay, would I have to adjust the ends to align it somehow, or are those just a bolt on? My current tie rod end is pretty sloppy.
Should be lick and stick, got 1 for my C from reliable aftermarket parts several years ago. As far as alignment get it close, pull old one off don't move anything, make new one fit in the holes and tighten, adjust later as needed, not like you're going to start wearing tires or get wicked front end wobble doing 50 down the road.
There is a significant price difference between 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. I chose to replace mine because of the scratches that were quite deep.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DB1RJBH5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title 145.00 Amazon.com: IEQFUE Power Steering Cylinder 234449A1 D92099 D147756 Compatible with Case 480D 480E 580B 580C 580D 580E 584E : Automotive Buy IEQFUE Power Steering Cylinder 234449A1 D92099 D147756 Compatible with Case 480D 480E 580B 580C 580D 580E 584E: Power Cylinders - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases www.amazon.com
Whatever you do , make sure you mark all the lines and where they go. We have had a couple of threads on here with these things having weird steering problems, and come to find out they had the hydraulic lines mixed up, even after a argument that they did not have them mixed up.
The aftermarket cylinder like the ones from broken tractor im not sure if there are rebuild kits for them. The tie rod ends have a different thread then the factory cylinders. Just FYI
I got the one from eBay and it works great, thanks for all the help, as usual!