The 1" steel line (tube) that runs from the loader valve to the backhoe inlet section has worn through where it has rubbed on the chasses. Three questions: 1- does anyone make a high pressure repair clamp that would work on this? It is on a straight part of the line and should be easy to clamp. 2- what kind of pressure does this line have to handle? 3- If I replace the complete tube what would be the easiest way to remove the backhoe end of the tube? From the top or from the bottom?
I have brazed quite few steel hydraulic lines with long lasting success. Never had one that needed a patch. If you do not have any oxy/actelene welding experience take the line off and take to someone that can do it.
Too hard to get to it to braze it where it is. If I could easily get the line out I would have no problem. I got the front end off, but haven't figured out how to get at the rear fitting. Might have to remove the backhoe control console. Anyway, if I do remove the line there's no way to get it back (factory installed during manufacture). Case makes a replacement with more flexible hose and only a short run of steel tube. By the way, is it safe to braze a hydraulic line that still has some trace fluid in it? Fire hazard??
Brazing that High pressure line will not hold. If you do anything it would have to be welded, or Silver soldered. Lower pressure lines can be brazed. However brazing is not recommended on any Hyd. lines for a long term fix. Tom
How about a compression fitting https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/category_s/1125.htm
In regards to removing the line -- you have to do whatever it takes.
Remove the line braze it and put it back on. I've brazed many a steel line for hydraulics with no problems.
Thanks to all for replying. Not gonna braze it. Wouldn't trust a compression fitting on high pressure line. Finally found a way to get at the backhoe end from beneath by removing one other line that was in the way. Tomorrow I'm going to order a replacement from Case if not too expensive, otherwise my hydraulic shop in town will make me up a new line.
If the line is stupid expensive replace it with a hose. I have done it a few times.
The replacement Case has is two pieces: a steel tube with a bend in it, and a straight hose. All I need from them is the bent tube, because a hose might be too stiff to bend where it attaches to the rear unit.
If you do get a new steel line get a piece of rubber hose, split it with a knife and put where the old one wore through. Put a hose clamp on each end of it.
Yeah, I do that wherever a hose or wire harness might rub something; I use heater hose and nylon wire ties. I just checked with Case and the part I need is no longer available, so I'm going to have to use hose for the whole run. It's going to be a job to get it connected while holding the hose in a pretty tight bend, but I've done this sort of thing before.
Discount hydraulic hose shows the bend radius for the different kinds of hose they sell. They also have some that is abrasive resistant and sell different kinds of shields.
Thanks. Using my local hydraulics place.
They have a Kevlar sleeve they can slide over the hose. Comes in an assortment of sizes. That stuff seems to work pretty well. But nothing is a cheap date when it comes to equipment.
I used the online bend radius info from DHH to convince me to bite the bullet and buy the steel line from Case for the line that connects to the hyd. pump. I wanted to go with hose because it was so much cheaper but making the bend was questionable. Local is best.
That is a good idea. I might make something up out of some slippery fabric...………………………….thanks.
Case no longer has the part available-my guy called all over the country. Case no longer has the part available-my guy called all over the country.
Cut the worn through section out, replace with stub length of tubing and two compression fittings. Subtract for inner length of fittings
I wouldn't trust a high pressure line to compression fittings.
You may not trust them, but Mike is a professional when a hydraulic system has a problem and needs a solution. Do yourself a favor and take his advice. The fact that many companies are on the internet selling high pressure compression hydraulic fittings says it all. Like this one ----> https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Flareless_Compression_Hydraulic_Tube_Fittings_s/51.htm
If your hydraulic shop makes steel lines they should have the fittings for the end of the steel line that are silver soldered on. Get the fittings and a short piece of hose and make it work. Also if you think the bend in a hose would be to sharp you could always use a 45 or 90 degree fitting there.
I'd braze it. I have successfully brazed 6,000 psi hydrostat lines without a leak in several years, as well as numerous hydraulic lines. There are times where there just isn't enough room for a wire braided hose.
Like the others said, they make hydraulic compression fittings, your local hydraulic guy may be able to get them. They are not your ordinary brass fitting with the wedding ring looking compression ring. They are usually stainless, and are rated for very high pressures. I have seen a guy weld hydraulic lines also, but he knew what he was doing.
I have both brazed and welded them also. But some people just don't understand and the rest of the line could be like swiss cheese also. We don't know.
Follow up on my hose change dilemma going from a 1" tube to a 3/4" hose. Since the cross sectional area of the inside of the hose is only 14% less than the area of the inside of the tube it works fine, as I suspected. Thanks to all for your input.
Thanks for the update ! Did you run hose all the way and totally eliminate all the steel tubing ?
Yes. Cut out part of the tube that was in the way and left the rest in place.
New post coming about extendable dipper!