Hello everyone, I have a 580 Super K that stop running while digging out some tree stumps. The tractor isn't in the best condition but its ran pretty good up until yesterday. While dumping a tree stump into the pile it just shut off. In the beginning of the day when we first powered it on it shut off a couple of times. I stopped it and added diesel. The tank wasnt empty but the gauge isnt working so I didnt want to risk running it out of fuel. Added 5 gallons. Ran good for a about an hour an it stalled. I checked fuel coming out of the lift pump. I checked for fuel coming out of the injection pump and I checked for fuel at the injectors that I was able to reach with my wrench and all points had fuel . I saw post regarding the fuel shutoff solenoid. I have power there but I have not checked voltage or checked the operation of the solenoid itself. If the solenoid isnt powered on Im assuming I wouldnt get fuel to the injectors correct? The injection pump is the bosch pump. I haven't checked filters yet, I plan on doing all that today. I was hoping someone could help with a list of things to check. As stated the tractor sounds like it wants to start(sputters) but doesn't. Im leaning towards possible debris in the fuel system since the tractor was operated in a few angles it hasnt been in a while, just doesnt explain fuel at the injectors and still not turning on.
Checked fuel at the bleader above the lift pump. Have fuel. Checked the fuel stop solenoid and it’s operating as it should. Checked for fuel at injectors again and there is fuel. I did break loose what I believe is the return line and I didn’t see any fuel come out of it while cranking. Should there be fuel?
The return is on the top cover and the inlet is towards the front by the triangle mounting flange. Check to see if u have fuel going INTO the pump..
Thanks. I’ll check that tomorrow. Would it be correct to assume there is fuel going into the pump and out since I have fuel at the injector?
U are correct.. but check to see if u have the same volume going into the inlet side of the pump as u do coming out of the filter .. They normally just don’t stop.. So maybe bleeding the air AT THE INJECTORS will help it to start.? The last 2 pumps I did, BOTH had 1 broken spring (out of 2) inside the pump..
Would you be kind enough to provide more details on how to properly perform that test? I’m confused by “but check to see if u have the same volume going into the inlet side of the pump as u do coming out of the filter”. Bear with me here but doesn’t the lift pump feed the filter first and then the IP? So if volume is good at the IP that would point to volume at the filter. After bleeding at the injectors the engine sounds the same. It sputters as if it wants to start. What would it cost for you to repair this pump? I would like to eliminate all other potential issues but I’m leaning towards a pump issue considering I have fuel at the injectors.
Could you mark up a picture to point exactly where you would like me to test? I appreciate your patience.
Im assuming this is the return off of the pump. Shoukd fuel be coming out of there if I loosen it up while cranking?
You r correct.. u can check the fuel AT THE INLET.. but if u haven’t checked the fuel at the filter, u have nothing to compare it to.. The fuel going INTO THE PUMP INLET should be about 5 psi.. which is a lot.. U can contact me directly here thru a prvt msg it at my home email.. my screen name at aoldotcom in your home mail service.