Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

caterpillar 428 series II 1989 backhoe

erwinnn · 2024-06-07 12:58

Good afternoon all, My 1989 caterpillar 428ST series 2 (single traction) serial 6TC04081 backhoe doesn't lift anything anymore. Both the backhoe and the front bucket aren't lifting anymore, neither do the stabilizers move. Traction FWD and REAR are working. The machine is moving About half a year ago the hydraulic pump was overhauled and the machine worked better then before but 2 days ago i was using the backhoe and suddenly al hydraulic power was gone. I managed to move the machine a bit forward with both the front and aft buckets scraping over the ground. Someone told me there is a valve located underneath the cabin that controls the power to all hydraulic cylinders. Anyone has some information on this? Had this issue as well? Many thanks, Erwin

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2024-06-07 14:00

    Resolvers are suspect. Hold the steering wheel at full lock (left or right) and, while holding it at full turn, run any implement (bucket, boom, etc.) Do they now move normal?

  2. #2erwinnn2024-06-07 14:39

    I´ll have a look tomorrow morning, and come back on that, Many thanks

  3. #3erwinnn2024-06-08 04:00

    So I just tried this but they are not moving, it doesn't have the force to lift looks like it. I was able to raise the stabilizers up but very slowly. No evidence of any leakage.