Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super K transmission

scottgs · 2014-08-01 16:46

I'm looking at purchasing a Case 580 Super K, and I've noticed some differences between it and the standard 580K that are puzzling me. I don't have a lot of time, and would really appreciate some quick advice on this. 1. The tractor seems to run strong in 1st and 2nd, ok in 3rd, but will barely move from a standstill in 4th on level ground. Is this normal? 2. The front axle engagement lever is on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel, and it tends to pop out of 4wd for no apparent reason. In fact it barely will stay im 4wd unless I hold it in. I'm wondering if this is likely a linkage issue, or something more insidious. 3. There is no rear diff lock pedal like on the standard 580K. Is it optional, or does it work different? 4. The motor is not turbo charged, I thought all "Super K's" were. Thanks in advance, Garret

Replies10
  1. #1mitch5042014-08-01 18:21

    1. normal 2. could be linkage, or it could be wear, but, the 4wd shifting components on a sK are right out on the front of the transaxle, and easy to replace. 3. ???????????????? 4. nope, some are, some aren't. The big difference is that the Super K used a one piece transaxle. There are a bunch of smaller changes, too. When they started making the Super K, they stopped the K. It really shopuld have been called the L. Anything after serial number jjg20000 is a superK, also known as a "K phase 3". As far as I know, there is no phase 2.

  2. #2scottgs2014-08-01 18:26

    Mitch, Thanks. That helps a lot. The 4wd lever felt "rubbery", almost like something might be bending. I was testing it mostly with all the wheels raised so I could tell what was happening. I could clearly feel and hear the gear teeth engage if I let the rear wheels move while moving the lever, but it would promptly slip out if I didn't hold it in. The diff lock has me puzzled. I like diff locks too. Garret

  3. #3Tinkerer2014-08-02 06:51

    Are you sure it doesn't have one ? The parts book shows it. Did you look on the floor of the cab closely ? Someone may have removed the pedal. Differential locks can cause a differential failure if they are used improperly over a period of time. It can happen quite quickly if it is engaged while operating the tractor on hard surfaces.

  4. #4fpgm042014-08-02 08:56

    Scottgs, For what it may be worth, I own a 1994 580 Super K, phase 3 (without differential lock). In addition to the info mitch504 gave, I would add the following to your question points : 1) Normal for any non-turbo K, and better with a turbo SK. 4th gear is really only for roading. 2) I don’t recall have trouble with 4wd coming out of gear, although putting it into 4wd at a dead stop is not always possible. I also think there were 2 types of levers on K series which could have some impact. Rectangular shafts on older K machines, and round shafts on new K. Don’t know if this was styling or some other mechanical reason, but mine are round (also my backhoe controls are round shafts which may mean a styling thing) but I have never had any issues with 4wd with my round shaft lever. 3) My 1994 Super K does “not” have diff lock. I know some models did, in fact I have seen some operator manuals for K series that show pictures of the pedal. However, my machine does not have it and while I purchased it used, I am pretty confident there was no modifications ever made to the drive train and cab. Additionally see part number #37 from on-line Case parts page showing the floor plate cover part for “models without differential lock”. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr100583ar1051009bi3963144-37 (Not sure if the link will work so will also put a picture of parts page below) I have also been told, but never investigated, that I could add differential lock simply by adding the pedal and linkage. 4) On other thought regarding turbo and vintage. Re-decal’ing a machine is not unheard of. Would suggest checking the serial number of the vehicle to confirm year and model. Good luck with your search for a machine.

  5. #5melben2014-08-02 10:20

    Diff lock pedals were deleted from the factory on 4wd Ks for the very reason mentioned. damage can occour on pavement with the 4wd and diff lock engaged at the same time.

  6. #6scottgs2014-08-02 10:25

    Melben, do you know if it is just the pedal deleted, as fpgm mentioned? Implying the locking components are still in the transmission and one merely needs to add the pedal back? It's probably not a big deal, but in the past I have had to use diff lock several times where I'm working, on 4wd backhoes. Kind of irritating that it would not have difflock, winching out a backhoe is a pain. Thanks, Garret

  7. #7scottgs2014-08-02 10:35

    fpgm, Thanks for the very thorough and informative message, it really helps. 1) I'm going to assume this one is ok, as it would go in 4wd, if perfectly level. Can't really handle any hill at all though. I remember roading a 580L about 10 years ago, and I recall it not going up any hills in high gear either. My problem is that I couldn't' get this super K out on the road to really tell, just could drive in the lot only. 2) Something is definitely wrong with the 3wd engagement. I worked with it quite a bit with all the tires off the ground, and it will only work if I hold the lever back. I have no idea if it would hold under any real load, as I couldn't test 4wd while digging. I looked in the online parts manual, and it looks like the front drive output shaft and clutch assembly maybe could be removed from the transmission, so possibly could be repaired without a complete tear down, depending on what's wrong. 3) Thanks for the clarification on diff lock. If I go back, I'll see if it looks like the diff lock shaft is still sticking out of the transmission. 4) This one is not advertised as a turbo, so it is correct as shown, no turbo decals. it was just my perception that all "super K's" were turbo. I really don't care one way or the other for what I'm doing, and would probably prefer the normally aspirated motor because it's simpler. Thanks, Garret

  8. #8fpgm042014-08-02 15:25

    Scottgs, For what it might be worth, I did a little digging in my old manuals. It appears at one time there was part number 115146A1 “Differential Lock Kit” which seems to only contain the pedal and linkage without modification to the transaxle. That being said, the description of the kit does not go beyond that description, but I would see no other purpose for it. However, when I now look up that number on-line it says it has been superseded and to order the various components listed…. Therefore, while not as easy as in years past by ordering just one part number, this does seem to support that diff lock can be added to the machine. A Case dealer should be able to provide and/or get better clarification for you.

  9. #9scottgs2014-08-02 19:57

    fpgm, Thanks for the info. I didn't get the Super-K, it sold for $15,000, more than I wanted to pay for a backhoe with near 6,000 hours, broken 4wd, lots of leaking cylinders and possibly questionable transmission. But, again I have learned several things, and maybe someone else will gain from this thread. By the time I finally find a backhoe, I think I'll be an expert! Garret

  10. #10melben2014-08-02 22:24

    I am quite certain the internals are there and just the engagement exteral parts are left off.