Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super L intermittent reverse problem

Blueacre ยท 2016-05-21 17:41

I have a Case 580 upper L Series 1. Everything was working fine till a couple of weeks ago when once in a while it wont reverse. Forward always works fine - when I put it in reverse there is nothing - not like it is slipping - just like it does not shift at all. If I uses the machine for 2 hours it may happen once or twice - sometimes not at all. When it does happen sometimes it starts to work after a few minutes - other times I have to shut it off an let is sit for a while. It happens more often when first started but also happens when warmed up and working but not as often. I have heard that there are snap rings in the control valve that are prone to breakage and that could be the problem - can someone tell me how to go about checking them and what to look for - pictures would be great. If not the snap rings what else should I look at ? thanks Gary

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2016-05-21 18:14

    Hey Gary, Could you clarify if you have a shuttleshift or powershift transmission.....

  2. #2Blueacre2016-05-21 20:52

    F-N-R shuttle shifter left of steering column - 4 speed manual transmission shifter to right of steering column

  3. #3alrman2016-05-21 21:56

    OK with that description, you have the Carraro shuttleshift transmission. Your problem could be electrical; the valve snap ring issue or something else mechanical. Have a look at this thread - it will also link you to others. If you can't resolve the issue with the information here, feel free to ask specific questions.

  4. #4Blueacre2016-05-24 12:11

    580 Super L Backhoe Reverse problem solved - for now ?? Thanks for the response and information - yesterday was the first chance I had to check out the reversing problem - I listened to the F and R solenoids on the transmission while switching the shuttle shifter. The reverse solenoid was not making any clicking noise but the forward one was. I unplugged the 2 wire plugs that connect to each of the solenoids and reversed them so forward on the shuttle shift would energize the reverse solenoid and reverse the forward solenoid - the machine then would reverse but not go forward. This indicated to me that the reverse solenoid is working and it must be an electrical problem in the reverse solenoid circuit and no power is energizing the solenoid or possibly a bad ground for the reverse solenoid. I unplugged the 4 wire connector that near the transmission that feeds the two - 2 wire solenoid plug pigtails - I tested with a meter and had 12 volt power and good grounds on both circuits. I plugged the 4 wire and both 2 wire plugs back together and the machine then worked in both forward and reverse. Hopefully it was just a dirty connection in one of the plugs and by unplugging then replugging them together it solved the connection problem - I suppose it could also be an intermittent electrical problem somewhere else that went away by coincidence at the same time I was working with the plugs at the transmission ???? Anyways I used it for 4 hours yesterday and didnt have any further problem. Thanks again for the help Gary

  5. #5alrman2016-05-25 06:00

    You're welcome! Keeping fingers crossed for you ...

  6. #6ben1232016-05-25 08:14

    I'm having this problem pretty intermittently with my jcb214 So what I did was tap in an LED on the dash that I can see when the reverser solenoid is energized in fwd and rev. That way I could confirm it's electrical. I tapped it onto the solenoid wire right down at the transmission so if a wire is broken the LED won't lite. The LED is red in fwd and green in rev. Works nice to when you spin the seat around or go to hop out, just a visual confirmation the reverser is in neutral. Ben