Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MF50H 4WD Seized Front Wheel

Keithcase ยท 2016-05-22 06:04

Hello all, I have a 4WD 1989 MF50H which was going really well until one of the front wheels seized. I don't have a manual or parts diagrams and I'm having trouble taking the face plate off the hub - can't budge the three 5mm hex head retaining bolts despite applying heat and penetrating oil. Looks like the hub hasn't been opened since new (1989). I'd be really grateful for advice and manual/parts diagrams please. Thanks Keith

Replies8
  1. #1caterpillarmech2016-05-22 09:04

    Center punch and a good hammer always worked for me. It will destroy them but they are cheap compared to the rest of the parts. With heat and oil, the next step is shock, Be careful with your hammer, the cast cap is expensive.

  2. #2Keithcase2016-05-22 12:16

    Thanks Caterpillarmech. Was thinking about drilling heads out of the bolts - less risk of damage to the cap?

  3. #3El Hombre2016-05-22 15:59

    Use the drill. It's the rare individual that can start wailing with a hammer and chisel and not make more damage. I worked with a German mechanic 40 years ago that started on VW beetles by using a hammer and chisel to loosen the bolts, and then to tighten them back together. Little file work on the bolts or nuts and you couldn't tell. Couldn't afford to buy tools. He demonstrated why the Krauts almost won those wars they started.

  4. #4jflarin2016-05-22 20:56

    I am looking at the parts diagram for a 1992 50 HX from http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/ . You should find your parts diagram there. jf

  5. #5sheepfoot2016-05-23 11:29

    front hub I think your machine has a carraro axle. Place axle housing on a timber/jack stand on the side that is locked up. Remove the tire and rim and clean around wheel studs good along with the flange that the rim is supported. You may see two allen headed bolts recessed and two wheel studs that look like they have a bigger shoulder. If you see those two wheel studs you have to double nut them and back them out along with the two allen head screws. The planetary can then be removed out of the hub sliding it off the remainder of the wheel studs. It may take some work if the sun gear and planetary gears have made friends with each other inside. You may have to drive that cover off the hub with a wedge and big hammer at several points around it. I use a impact screwdriver and a little heat on those allen head screws to loosen the Loctite, if they are stripped out I will use a chisel/drill them with a left hand drill bit. I have used joseph industries for carraro parts 1 800 321-9983 they have good parts personal and pricing. This may not apply to your machine but it sounds like you are trying to remove the cover cap which will not get you inside the unit. A pic would help also of what your doing.

  6. #6Keithcase2016-06-02 14:09

    Thanks, but the link requires ID and password. I've seen other posts referring to guest access but doesn't seem to be on that site.

  7. #7Keithcase2016-06-02 14:16

    Thanks Sheepfoot - you've clearly done this before! I've now opened the hub and it looks like root cause of the seizure is catastrophic bearing failure. Any advice on Getting the planetary pinions out of the frame on the back of the hub front to replace the bearings please? Also how to remove the large outside gear and the rear carrier to get at the half shaft bearings? I've tried a hub puller but it doesn't want to move....

  8. #8Keithcase2016-06-03 15:12

    Hello Sheepfoot, Here are a few photos of my damaged hub. Any advice most welcome. Thanks, Keith