Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super L starting Problem

Blueacre ยท 2014-04-19 16:47

I have a Case 580 Super L with Cummins diesel engine - up until about 4 months ago the engine started great - first crank in warmer weather and ony a few extra cranks in cold weather. Around Christmas in the cold weather it didnt start easily - it would start fire a t first for a couple of seconds on the first few cranks and then die. Every time I tried to start it would do the same - fire and then die almost immediately. After 6 or 8 tries it would finally start and keep running. Once warm it started normally. I thought it was just the cold weather and didnt use it much over the winter - we are having warmer weather now and still have starting problems - now when I try to start it the engine fires first crank but dies almost immediately similar to what it did in the winter but now after the first try I have to crank it continuously for 10 to 15 seconds until it finally fires and starts - during that 10 or 15 seconds of cranking there is no attempt to fire at all - seems like it is not getting fuel until it cranks for a while. Once it starts it runs fine and starts first crank everytime when warm. Any ideas on the problem - seems like fuel pump is not getting fuel at first - couled the fuel be draining out of the lines and pump back into the tank ? Is there a check valve to prevent this that may not be working. I thought it might be a problem with the fuel shut off solenoid but didnt seem likely as it does start after cranking a while - if the solenoid is bad I didnt think it would start at all. Appreciate any suggestions on things to try or look for thanks Gary

Replies4
  1. #1tdrainage2014-04-20 08:48

    you might try replacing the fuel line between the tank and pump. We have an "L" and had that problem - found a pin hole in the line that would cause it to suck air which sounds the same as the problem you are having.

  2. #2wrc2014-04-20 13:10

    Yes the rubber hose between the lift pump and tank is the most common failure and does exactly as described. Its a cheep fix about $3.00 at the local parts store. I have had 2 580l hoes now and they both have done the same thing. Also the lift pump or primer pump has failed on one unit causing the same symptoms about $45.00 at my local case dealer. Hope this helps you it is very frustrating when our iron wont stay running

  3. #3Blueacre2014-04-20 20:25

    thanks for the replies and suggestions on what to look for - I think tha tyou are probably right on a leak in the fuel line from the tank - I only had a bout 1/4 tank of fuel in the machine over the winter when I was having the problem. Yesteraday I filled the tank up and this morning I tried to start it and it fired up immediately with no problem. I am wondering if the leak could be a pin hole in the suction line inside the tank between the top of the tank and the bottom and when the fuel level was low it allowed air into the line but now with a full tank the leak is below the fuel level so no air. I will see if the proble occurs again when the level in the tank drops. thanks the the help Gary

  4. #4Tinkerer2014-04-21 08:28

    Sometimes when a full tank of fuel eliminates the problem, that indicates a lift pump problem.