Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy, what to look for?

j.cowling ยท 2014-04-19 12:51

I just bought a skid steer and got it very cheap, but am going to end up rebuilding the engine. I'm looking to buy a backhoe now and want to be better informed on what to look for. Certain things/brands to stay away from? I'll be renting it out, and using it for tearing out stumps and stuff. There are so many, and not really sure what to look for, difference between the ford 555 and a case? If you guys can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thank you. I'm looking to spend about $15,000, so nothing new.

Replies18
  1. #1AllDodge2014-04-19 13:17

    You could find a 2WD model for the 15K for self use, but to rent it out is a whole nother matter. You will take care of the equipment, renters will not be so nice. Look for hydraulic leaks, make sure you run it long enough to get it heated up. Look at the exhaust area for things rusted out. Good luck

  2. #2j.cowling2014-04-19 13:25

    Thank you AllDodge. I'm pretty mechanic savvy, I just know there are always certain models with quirks. Like the perkins diesel engines I've been warned to stay away from. Is Ford a good tractor, I drive Ford trucks haha. There are a lot of Ford 555 and 555b (difference betwen the two)? Case, john deer?

  3. #3LT-x72014-04-19 15:05

    I have had good luck with perkins diesels, no complaints at all. I don't have have much info on ford hoe's, but a lot of the older units had the ford style controls which were not real popular. I could see that being an issue for a rental machine. Like mr Dodge mentioned I think you are asking for trouble with a $15k machine to rent out.

  4. #4j.cowling2014-04-19 19:16

    Yeah I think I may have just shifted my interest to another business idea. I just really like running equipment...something about hydraulics does it for me haha.

  5. #5JGibson2014-04-19 19:26

    I would get a Deere 310 or 410 sized machine. A case 580c or 580d are very good backhoes.

  6. #6j.cowling2014-04-19 20:06

    Thanks JGibson. So many ways to make money in this world...military is working for now, but I've got a lot more energy to divert to other things!

  7. #71466IH2014-04-19 22:27

    I an a case fan so I would go that route but some like the curved stick on the deere's and cats. Case's pretty much rule the roost around here but there are also a few cats and deeres. One contractor I work for has deere everything from dozers to excavators but has all case backhoes. One thing I like about the cases with and extendahoe is you can use the thumb no matter where you are extended Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  8. #8j.cowling2014-04-20 15:39

    1455IH, why wouldn't you be able to use the thumb on other tractors when you're extended? Also...everyone, take a look at this...2 hours left...looking at bidding up to $18K Good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291127525510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

  9. #9Tinkerer2014-04-20 15:50

    There may be a lot of good machines for sale in on-line auctions. But if I couldn't see it, hear it running and try it out I wouldn't even consider looking at one. The old saying "Buyer Beware" is most certainly true when buying something without seeing it.

  10. #10LT-x72014-04-20 16:14

    Take a look at the way the extenda hoes are designed, hard to explain but you will see how some will work extended and some wont. Doesn't look to bad, but I wouldn't give 18k especially without running it first. Couple things that come to mind........ Fresh paint makes you wonder what it looked like before. Case controls, more popular than ford but like I mentioned before might not be the best choice for a rental. Some people love them, not my cup of tea. How do you plan to move it? 20k lbs is a big hoe which isn't necessarily a bad thing just something to consider.

  11. #11j.cowling2014-04-20 17:10

    I've got a 2014 F-250 Diesel. My trailer now is only rated for 14,000 pounds...but I'm looking at buying one of the big text or gator 22, or 24K pound trailers. I don't really know about the different controls. I'll have to do some research. Not looking to jump into another mistake...just wondering what is a good deal. Is there an NADA for tractors, something to get a good value off of? Thanks guys.

  12. #12LT-x72014-04-20 18:17

    Any backhoe behind a F250 is going to be a stretch. But a 20k machine on any trailer behind a f250 would be crazy IMO.

  13. #13AllDodge2014-04-20 18:26

    ^^ +1, The F250 is rated at 16K using a 5th wheel setup and correct towing equipment. The issue is if it gets away from you or if there was an accident, even if not your fault, and you are not properly equipped or overloaded, it could be very costly

  14. #14j.cowling2014-04-20 18:50

    I read my truck was rated at 18,000 with gooseneck. So are you guys saying a flatbed pintle hitch with a tandem dusky trailer? Large cat diesel truck?

  15. #15Deon2014-04-21 07:21

    Don't forget that the weight of the trailer has to be included. 4000 lb trailer, 16000 lb machine = 20,000 lbs.

  16. #16AllDodge2014-04-21 08:32

    The higher numbers are used by all truck manufactures mostly as a sales gimmick. While it is correct but only in certain models and size trucks. Here is a pdf link which explains the issues, and pay close attention to the notes beside each of the numbers. http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14_superdutypu_sep11.pdf

  17. #17LT-x72014-04-21 13:47

    Richie specs say the 590 case he was looking at is 20k lbs for just the machine. + the trailer and all of the trailers this size I have dealt with are more like 7-8k lbs empty. So by my math that puts you at a gcvw around 35k. I would say that's well into medium duty territory.

  18. #181466IH2014-04-21 15:31

    They way that the dipper stick is made. Imagine a hydraulic cylinder is the dipper. Case uses the barrel end to attach the bucket to so when you extend out the whole barrel where the thumb is attached moves. On deere or cat machines the rod would be the extendable part of the dipper so you can't attach a thumb to it or it won't retract back in. You can still put a thumb on those machines but you will have to have the extendahoe retracted all the way back because the thumb would be attached to the upper half and won't extend with the bucket Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk