Want to use my backhoe for snow removal next winter. Need advice. 1: Need to extend rear wheels for chain clearance. Dealer said wheel reversal (turn rear wheels inside out and switch sides) would work, but puts too much strain on axles, so I should buy Case wheel extenders, which would extend them less. Does this make sense? 2: Have steep hill to climb and 580 is backheavy, so I usually back up the hill, but don't want to do it in winter for snow clearing. Would turning the boom all the way to the side transfer enough weight to the front to make a difference? Would removing the rear bucket make much difference? Has anyone ever had one of these 580's flip on its back--it sometimes feels like it is ready to. 3:My case is 4wd. I was told that chains on the front could damage the planetary gears in the steering system. True? Any advice appreciated..............Mike
I realize this is an old post, but..... I just noticed on my MF60, one of the rear rims is on backwards. Giving this one, more "outward reach". I was thinking on doing the same to the other, some hoe drivers do this, I'm told, to keep mud, etc clean and clear from the insides. But after reading the above post, " too much strain on axles ', what do you experts think on this. It would also give more room for chains. Any comments on this, thanks.
(I hope I am replying correctly; don't know where to start.) I spoke to the dealer last autumn and they told me that wheel reversal is commonly done for chain clearance, so I went ahead and did it. Plenty of clearance for chains now. Only thing is, you have to crawl under to get at the valve stem to check air. I am considering leaving the wheels reversed permanently. I don't see how much more strain is put on the axles, but I can't get anyone to address this issue.
I'm considering doing the same thing. Only thing i don't like, is that the tires now stick out about 6 inches further than my bucket. I'll be plowing on a hill with tight sides, so i'll have to be careful. Other than that, I haven't personally heard any drawbacks, a buddy of mine is a Foreman on a site and say's many operators do it. I don't see why you can't go up a hill in 4x4 without chains on the front... this must be some steep hill.
The hill is quite steep and the front gets very light; I often have the front end get so light that I can't steer, even on less steep hills, and I fear going over on my back.
You may want to consider filling the front tires with antifreeze to help give you more weight up front. Also, you are putting your the boom all the way forward into transport lock, correct?
Yes, of course I'm locking the boom straight up (transport), but there's a lot of weight back there, especially since I have a mechanical thumb that probably weighs 250 lbs or so. I forgot to mention the thumb. I can remove part of the thumb, but it's a lot of work for one old guy. Anitfreeze in the tires sounds like a good idea-I'll have to compute the weight I would be adding this way; I'm not sure it would be enough. As it is I go up steep hills in reverse. I'm thinking of trying it with the boom swung all the way to one side, which I think would reduce the rear weight slightly, but I don't like the idea of the hydraulic hoses being kept in that sharp a bend.
Personally, I would not put the boom to the side and drive like that. One sharp steering and the machine can tip over. These machines are not that stable side to side.
With the rear tires reversed I might have enough stability, but I won't be doing it anyway. By the way, what do you think of leaving the rear tires reversed permanently? I switched side to side so that the tread is facing correctly.
I would not do it to mine. Mine is a 1988 580K 4X4 e-hoe and I have the extra weights on the front. I also run ice cutter chains on all 4 wheels with no clearance issues. When the snow is too deep I still have to back up steep hills. Just the nature of the beast. I would not run with the boom turned to the side. That is a good sidehill trick but not for snow.