Greetings to all: I am new to this Forum and am looking for some info on a Case 580B. I am not sure what year model it is as the ID plate has been painted and I have not been able to read to tractor serial number. The 580B is clear. I have attached some photos hoping that somebody may recognize the year model. Specifically, I want to purchase a repair manual and the year model would be helpful. I also wondered if anyone knows whether or not the oil pan can be removed without removing the engine from the frame. The tractor sat in the rain....yes with the exhaust uncovered.... for several years and I need to remove the oil pan for inspection. I have already drained about 4 gallons of water and what was left of the oil out. I can only imagine what must be left in the oil pan. I plan to remove the head for inspection of the cylinders, etc. and it appears to be easily removable with the engine in the frame. I may have to completely rebuild the engine before it is over as I have no idea of how many hours are on the tractor. I also do not know the history of the tractor as I got it from a lady whose husband died several years ago. Thanks for your time and any help would be appreciated. I look forward to communicating with the members of this forum as I begin the process of bringing this machine back to life.
There is no way to recognize the year except by the serial number, but you have got the most important part. The letter after the number narrows it down to the early 70's, and all 580Bs are the same except for minor changes. These changes won't be listed by year, but by the serial number. Any manual for a Case 580B should be the same.
You also have a rare one with the (Hydrostat), I would loosen the drain plug on it and see if it has water in the case before trying to start.
Have you tried to sand off the paint on the tag? They are embossed so you should be able to read it if you take a bit of paint off. Good luck on the project. I hope it's not too bad. It doesn't sound like you gave too much for it anyway.