Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford 4500 trans issues

sbybee ยท 2013-10-22 22:00

I have a 72 ford 4500 tlb and have done various repairs ie hydraulic pump, shaft etc. I now have an odd problem with the trans. It is a 4 speed shuttle and if I fill it to factory specs it won't move. If I fill to the upper shift hole it works fine when it is cold, as soon as it warms up it shuttles slower and requires more rpm. I don't work it much and can live with what I got, but is there any additives that would help. Sooner or later I will have to have it split but I don't need to now. The only additive I know works is Lucas power steering sealer in my 89 ford, but maybe there is something out there for the torque converter/ and or clutches. thanx steve

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042013-10-22 22:05

    What oil did you use?

  2. #2sbybee2013-10-22 23:09

    New holland ambra multi g 134 a

  3. #3jimg9842013-10-22 23:12

    that be the rite oil

  4. #4mitch5042013-10-22 23:37

    Yes, oil is fine, I was hoping to be able to tell you to change out the 85w140 and that would do it. It only pulls if you overfill it? Pickup tube cracked, weak pump? Maaaybe a clogged strainer. Have you changed the filter, and have you put a guage on the little test tube in the bottom of the bell housing? I saw one once that did this, but it was the opposite, it worked once it was hot.

  5. #5sbybee2013-10-24 21:20

    I just got in from putting the gauge on and running around. I didn't have a hose so I couldn't read it on the run but it seemed to read the same ie 30 lbs cold neutral, idle and 55 lbs in gear revved up and 5 lbs less warmed up. I have changed the filter. Thanx steve

  6. #6mitch5042013-10-24 21:42

    I forgot to look up what the pressures were supposed to be today but I'll (hopefully) remember to look it up tomorrow.