Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B 188 diesel, starts but immediately goes to very high rpms. What could cause it?

Yakima · 2025-06-17 22:45

It’ll start but climbs to insane rpm’s. throttle control works when at low idle, it just dies. When I pull the throttle to a normal run rpm above an idle it just races to high rpm’s! control linkages to injector pump seems in good order. All lead seals in place. This is an old 1976 model. I bought it and It was loose as a goose Even back then. I paid $7000. For it. but it owes me nothing after 30 years of use in the volcanic central Oregon high desert. I’m thinking that something in the injector pump has failed. the pump is an Rosa-Master A-51325 please, let me know what you guys think could cause this. matt

Replies4
  1. #1outlawspeeder2025-06-17 23:07

    I am not an expert but just got done rebuilding mine after a failure of part. The governor control is under the cap with the 3 screws/bolts. There is a return spring in there... and looking a the attach photo the right side goes down into the pump and rides on the fly weights... See if it is all free to move. Other will post help too.

  2. #2Yakima2025-06-18 00:29

    Ok, I have the pump off. I’ll do that tomorrow. Thank you!

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-06-18 09:59

    It sounds as if someone knocked out the checkball return fitting, which allowed the bits of broken “flex ring” to return to the tank without shutting the engine down.. SO NOW, you’re banging metal to metal and about to shear off the metal pins on the weight retainer.. THAT will give u a “run-away” engine with no hopes of shutting it off.. You did good pulling it off..

  4. #4Yakima2025-06-18 11:48

    Ok, thank you for the advice! what kit do I need get to get it back in servicable condition?