Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b backhoe

talltexan6ft7 ยท 2023-04-12 09:05

Hi everyone, I am new to the backhoe world and have just bought a 1975 Case 580b. I want to put new fluids in her and it's pretty obvious where to put the gear oil and motor oil. But my question is: is the hydraulic fluid and transmission fluid the same thing? Or does the transmission fluid pour in where the dipstick is located at the right foot area and the hydraulic fluid goes in at the top of the frame on the left side? I am confused about this and don't want to make a mistake! Thanks to all who reply...take care...

Replies4
  1. #1stinky642023-04-12 17:57

    Well howdy Stretch, don't have a B so can't really help you there, but if you search these threads most of what you need for that machine is here. My advice is to buy some reprinted manuals from ebay (relatively cheap) I got all the service, parts and operators manual for 580C for about $100 delivered. Or you can download the same info online. If you're new to the backhoe world and have questions this site is F-in' awesome. Reality is your beautiful new yella iron is almost 50 years old and you're gonna have to fix stuff, a lotta stuff. Ask me how I know. Good luck and happy digging.

  2. #2Tinkerer2023-04-12 21:23

    Duplicate threads about the same subject are discouraged on Hef. It causes a lot of confusion. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out why my reply this morning wasn't here. It is in the Lubrication Forum .

  3. #3Eagle Chief2023-04-13 06:09

    Hydraulic fluid goes in at the top of the frame on the left side, its hydraulic only. Take the 1/4'' pipe full indicating plug out just below the fill point and fill at the top until it runs out.

  4. #4talltexan6ft72023-04-14 10:34

    Thanks everyone!